Dwars door Vlaanderen *spoiler*

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited March 2008 in Pro race
Live on cycling.tv now if anyone's bored at work. Cancellara absolutely cruising up the Oude Kwaremont...

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    edited March 2008
    afx237vi wrote:
    Cancellara absolutely cruising up the Oude Kwaremont...
    I suspect The Chin will be a popular choice for the Ronde PTP - 11 days to go!
  • afx237vi
    Now we have Tommeke stretching his legs on the Nokereberg... He has a point to prove this year, eh?
  • afx237vi
    Sylvain Chavanel wins with another impressive solo. Terrible weather... hopefully it'll stay around that area for another couple of weeks :D
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    afx237vi wrote:
    Sylvain Chavanel wins with another impressive solo. Terrible weather... hopefully it'll stay around that area for another couple of weeks :D
    Is this a further sign of a new, more mature Chavanel who is more calculating in his efforts? Or a sign of a leveling of the playing field? Or both?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I hope it's both. But believe what you want. He could just be lucky too!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kléber wrote:
    I hope it's both. But believe what you want. He could just be lucky too!

It could also be that which we can't mention.

We just don't know. But he does seem to be in a good form. I liked the way Daily Peloton kept calling him "Chav" in their commentry.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I'm happy. Had a tickle on the Chavmeiser with my bookie.

First cycling bet that has come in in a while!
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • afx237vi
    Anyone who has the guts to wear bright pink cycling shoes is fine by me.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Good on Chavanel! I think his latest burst of form is a sign of him maturing. We've seen the same kind of burst from Gilbert, as well. Cyclists mature at different ages and I think we're going to see a few of the promising youngsters move up a level this year.

This can only be good for Sylvain's head, and may get the French media off his back a bit.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    I'm pleased for him - he's taken a lot of stick because of his salary but what's he meant to do, turn the offer down? He seems to be judging his efforts better these days, i.e. at the business end of a race rather than in doomed breakaways.

Even better it's a Frenchman winning a race that has Flemish hard man written all over it - that'll annoy the Flemish no end.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Funnily enough I was just today reading the January Procycling ( the one edited by LeMond) and there was a piece by Cofidis rider Frank Hoj. He mentioned that Chavanel was targeting the Spring Classics, and particularly Flanders, this year. Not sure if that is in contrast to his targets in previous years, but maybe he is one to look out for in the coming weeks.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Chapeau Chavanel
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Timoid, you bet on Chavanel to win Dwars Door Vlaanderen?!?

respect. I'd never have made that call in a century.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    drenkrom wrote:

respect.
    No - what he said was "Had a tickle on the Chavmeiser with my bookie" - a completely different sort of activity. I don't have the same close relationship with my own bookie but consenting adults and all that...
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    andyp wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Is this a further sign of a new, more mature Chavanel who is more calculating in his efforts? Or a sign of a leveling of the playing field? Or both?

I think it's level playing field but also heard , I think on Eurosport ,that he'd seen a sports psychologist during the winter.
    Faith is believing in something when commonsense tells you not to
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Good race and a fine win by him. It'd certainly be interesting to see how he fares at the Ronde.
  • afx237vi
    Ms Tree wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

I think it's level playing field but also heard , I think on Eurosport ,that he'd seen a sports psychologist during the winter.

That was Gert Steegmans, wasn't it? Same kind of thing though - he's made the jump from lead-out man to an excellent sprinter in his own right. A bit of belief goes a long way.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    LangerDan wrote:
    drenkrom wrote:

respect.
    No - what he said was "Had a tickle on the Chavmeiser with my bookie" - a completely different sort of activity. I don't have the same close relationship with my own bookie but consenting adults and all that...

We do things differently in the wild west

I only bet a tenner and all it will do is pay for foolish bets on riders in other races. Just look at my (lack of) protour points.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.