ASO concerned about biological passports

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2008 in Pro race
http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap ... &type=lgns

Ingore the top part, that was pretty obvious. But I think this is the first time an official type person has voiced concerns about what the arguing will do to the passport scheme?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    iainf72 wrote:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-tourdefrance-contador&prov=ap&type=lgns

Ingore the top part, that was pretty obvious. But I think this is the first time an official type person has voiced concerns about what the arguing will do to the passport scheme?

It may be that UCI will not release the baseline data to non-UCI events to allow comparison with samples taken during competition.

BTW, whether by accident or design, UCI have today launched the biological passport pages of their website. Over 900 blood and urine tests carried out in Jan and Feb. (http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI5/la ... uId=MjI0NQ)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:
    It may be that UCI will not release the baseline data to non-UCI events to allow comparison with samples taken during competition.

Then French government withdraw their funding and we're back to square one.

Who wants to join my private cyclist monitoring company? No particular experience needed.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    iainf72 wrote:
    Who wants to join my private cyclist monitoring company? No particular experience needed.

I hear that Paul Scott might be available....
  • iainf72
    Bye bye athletes passport

Hate to say I told you so. But told you so.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Will someone please initiate regime change at the UCI asap.

Thank you.
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    Will someone please initiate regime change at the UCI asap.

Thank you.

It can't be that hard, everyone in Switzerland has a gun - At least they did when I lived there as a nipper.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    iainf72 wrote:
    It can't be that hard, everyone in Switzerland has a gun - At least they did when I lived there as a nipper.
    That was still the case 9 years ago when I lived there. Come on men of Switzerland, rise up and remove the Irish scourge from your midst!
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    If the UCI has a case against Pound, let them duke it out in the courtroom. The goal of working for a cleaner sport has to be above disputes like this. I think WADA should carry on.

But there's no getting away with it, the UCI decision to go after Pound looks real bad. If they win, they just an apology, maybe some money? If they lose, they look very bad and will have wasted a lot of money.

The governing body has stop brawling with ASO, Pound, WADA, Boyer and others. It is time for Verbruggen and puppet McQuaid to resign. Cycling urgently needs someone with the confidence of riders, fans, race organisers, the media and WADA to take over.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Does Dick Pound still work for WADA? Perhaps this is just a convenient get-out for WADA, faced with the fight against organised crime and the complicated mess of vested interests that exist in the cycling world.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The vested interests have an interest in the success of the scheme. Cyclist, race organisers, TV companies, they all have a stake in proving the sport is doing everything it can to make the sport cleaner.

But why sue Pound now? I haven't seen anything recent that he's said, apparently it's about the list of things he's said. Suing now just looks like desperation from the UCI, as they lash out at another big name in sports administration.

It's becoming clearer day by day that some of the senior officials at the UCI do not have the sport's best interest at heart and are operating to suit their personal agendas. Verbruggen has never gone away and poor Pat just can't handle the media, making conflicting statements on a range of issues.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    By-the-by, the link to the online location system (ADAMS) on the UCI's site is broken. Rather like Pat McQuaid's public image?

http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI2/la ... Id=MTI1Njg

The ADAMS system is run by WADA, so it's not hard to believe that the UCI have deliberately broken the link - even easier to believe that it's just UCI's incompetence.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • iainf72
    Does this mean no one can do the TdF this year? Because you needed a passport?

Or does WADA withdrawing their support mean the passports carry no weight in anti-doping cases?

They're a bunch of clowns, the lot of them.

Pound doesn't work for WADA now - He's in the running to take over CAS - He made some comments about Chambers recently (basically saying according to the rules you can stop him competing)
  • iainf72
    Hurray.

The UCI have cleared it up

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... D%3DMTYxNw

They're going to "do their best"
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Kléber wrote:
    But why sue Pound now? I haven't seen anything recent that he's said, apparently it's about the list of things he's said. Suing now just looks like desperation from the UCI, as they lash out at another big name in sports administration.

Probably because he's now ex-WADA. Suing him while in office would have resulted in WADA doing, well, what they've just done.

More territorial pissing - just what the sport needs now.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    "WADA will be taking all steps necessary to ensure that the court is fully informed of issues and facts relating to doping in cycling. WADA will instruct legal counsel to represent WADA and its former president in this regard, and to robustly defend and reject the unfounded allegations made by the UCI"

http://www.velonews.com/article/73671