What distance can a novice cover in a day ?

Downhill Only
Downhill Only Posts: 4
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I have been invited by some friends who are a mixture of occasional lycra commuters and serious recreational riders to join them on an ride.

They want to go from Central London to Maidenhead along what they assure me is a cycle path/route. Is this possible to do in a day?

My recent experience of cycling is limited to going round the park with my daughter, am I in trouble :?:

Comments

• heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    How far is that then? If you're of reasonable fitness then you'll probably be ok unless its over 70 miles or something. The question is a bit of a how 'long is a piece of string' question because we don't know what you'll be riding or how fit you are. Maybe 10 miles, maybe 110 miles. Worth a go though isn't it! Let us know how far you manage!

Welcome to the forum too.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    It's probably about 30-40 miles, I'd guess.

If you're reasonably active and healthy this should be fine, but it might be worth some build up outings on your own of say 5, 10, 15, 20 miles, to get comfortable on the bike and get to know what your cruising level of effort really is.

In terms of effort, I'd reckon it's could be the same kind of level as a 10 mile walk.
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    As has been said, depends on your general fitness. When I first got back on a bike after many years absence (and not long after giving up smoking) I could barely make it round the block! :oops:

I'm pleased to say I'm in slightly better shape now. :wink:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Roger_This
    Roger_This Posts: 136
    Would endorse what's been said so far, it doesn't sound too difficult but you should build up a few miles practice first.

And I hate to lower the tone, but if you go straight into 40 miles, your a*se is really going to hurt! :(
  • Thanks for the replies, I am obviously going to need some practice.
    Roger_This wrote:
    And I hate to lower the tone, but if you go straight into 40 miles, your a*se is really going to hurt! :(

I had not even thought of that :shock:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Yup, 40 miles is FURTHER than 4x10! After a year of little pedalling, to manage 40 or 50 in one outing (however slow) I did the 10 a day for a week, 20 ditto, 30 a couple of times. Gradual is best, but as long as you've a few weeks to prepare shouldn't be a problem.

If I can, anyone under 60 (years) and 50 (fags a day) can!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    Should be fine, within a two weeks of starting cycling last year, i did a 70mile cycle. I had a sore arse and back, and couldn't walk when i got off the bike, but it was worth it. 2 weeks later when my bum hadn't toughened up i went and bought some padded lycra shorts!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Should be no problem.

Dependent on the route it might well be a pretty flat 35ish miles. Say 3 hrs?
    Rich
  • To solve the arse problem get some cycling shorts.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Crikey, I managed 10 miles on my first ride and was truly knackered...
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Do 10 mile runs for a while and gradually increase, you'll soon be doing 30 odd!

As was said above, gradual is best

Invest in some padded shorts! :lol:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • rob2275
    rob2275 Posts: 2
    As someone that cycles from Maidenhead to London for work (all be it infrequently and ONLY on quiet weekends) I can assure you it won't take long for you to be able to do this with ease.

I use probably the most direct route, the A4. It's a good 26 miles. It's hardly the most picturesque ride, unless you're into airports and industrial units and it had to be said there it can be an extremely busy route often with 3 traffic lanes in places (I'm really selling this!). On saying that the cycle lanes between Heathrow and Chiswick are long and reasonably clear. As the route follows the path of the Thames the only hills you're going to have to contend with are Bridges over the motorways. If you're bike allows there's a the Cycle Path from Datchet to Maidenhead along the Jubilee River which makes for a nice off road detour (i.e. Avoiding Slough) and allows for a cake and a cuppa stop in Windsor or Eton.

I guess there's plenty of more pleasurable if not as direct routes - I'd be interested to hear which way you go... Suffice to say it's a fairly easy journey and with a little traing you should find it a breeze.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    For me, as a newbie myself, it's the hills that get me. I can manage a 10 mile hilly route without dying, but could probably go far longer on the flat. However, just writing that makes me want to go out and find a big hill as I really want to improve!
  • This suddenly seems harder than I had been led to believe :!:

Surely getting back on that thing that I used to deliver papers on 25 years ago won't be that bad :oops:
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    This suddenly seems harder than I had been led to believe :!:

Surely getting back on that thing that I used to deliver papers on 25 years ago won't be that bad :oops:
    Well, if it's the same one you might need to pump the tyres up! :lol:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Rather depends on what you have been doing for that quarter of a century!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Just do it! Take some money for the bus or a phone (for someone with a car, not the samaritans) if it all gets too much!
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I still remember one of my my 1st rides. It was 15 miles. I was exhausted after 12.5 and had to get my dad to pick me up. I was getting 100 yards on the 30/26 ring :oops:

That was 4 years ago and now I ride 100 no probs 8)
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business