3 Speed Clubmans

NorwegianBlue
NorwegianBlue Posts: 484
edited April 2008 in Road general
I've been thinking recently about a 3 speed clubmans, the problem is that they seldom seem to come up for sale at reasonable prices. Even complete junk seems to command silly asking prices. So I've been thinking about building a clubman style bike from one of the many "sports" 3 speeds to be found on ebay.

Unless anybody knows where I might find a clubmans style 3 speed in need of restoration for a reasonable price. There were enough of them built, so there must be plenty of them sitting around it sheds or garages. Any ideas anybody?

Cheers,

Gareth
"Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    There may have been a lot built (maybe!), but if so it was a long time ago and you're right rarely see them up for sale. Actually I doubt many survived in original hub gear format for long anyway. The bikes were probably good enough to convert to derailleurs. Lentons probably appear the most on ebay, but not many. Would it not be best to re-convert from a derailleured model? Even if have to get new drop outs fitted probably relatively cheap?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • meagain
    Here's a frameset as a starting point! On th'bay:

1948 Raleigh Record Ace Reynolds 531 DB RRA RARE

And a variation on the theme:

SUNBEAM RACER LAUTERWASSER BARS STURMEY ARCHER AM ALLOY

Usual disclaimers: not mine, no interest (altho' if I found a complete '48 RRA I'd be VERY tempted, same age an' all that you know!).
    d.j.
  • Thanks, I'm already watching that one. I have a funny feeling that the price will really take off in the last couple of minutes. We can but hope...
  • join the VCC they quite often come up in the News & Views magazine at sensible prices, also you will learn plenty of interesting stuff and meet some really nice folk if you attend the rides.
    I got my 1947(first year it was made with lamp 'pip' on Left fork blade) Raleigh Lenton clubman at the local tip for £3, though in good condition it had been modernised,but one day it will get rebuilt to period though not necesarily factory correct.
    They ride quite nicely too, also look for the Rudge and Humber versions ,same machine different fork crown and transfers.
    being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
  • meagain
    Sixty quid for that RRA not a bad price - always assuming structurally sound, but with a sixty year frame that's alway a risk (believe me, I KNOW!!!).
    d.j.
  • meagain wrote:
    Sixty quid for that RRA not a bad price - always assuming structurally sound, but with a sixty year frame that's alway a risk (believe me, I KNOW!!!).

My concern at that price is what the whole bike would end up costing. It's far too easy when building a bike from parts to end up thinking each part you buy is cheap without keeping an eye on the total cost.

Also it might be odd, but I would rather start with a whole bike and restore it. It's more satisfying,and it's usually cheaper.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    I'd fully agree that restoring a full bike is better way of going about things than building from a bare frameset. Not only is it likely to be cheaper, but the parts fitted will be in context too.

It doesn't always work out, my '47 Claud was obviously given a full refurbishment in the mid-50's, and the wheels were too far gone to save. I'm not quite finished it yet - the pedals are under restoration at the moment and the Osgear is away being plated, but I suspect the final cost will be compariable with the other projects I've done.
  • meagain
    "My concern at that price is what the whole bike would end up costing. It's far too easy when building a bike from parts to end up thinking each part you buy is cheap without keeping an eye on the total cost.

Also it might be odd, but I would rather start with a whole bike and restore it. It's more satisfying,and it's usually cheaper."

All very true, but when chasing something that is pretty rare sometimes needs must! All depends on how badly you want one!
    d.j.
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    I've got this Bates BAR, which has an FM four speed Sturmey hub. I'll be restoring that with Paris bars, for the proper club racer look:

DSC00183.jpg
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Build a looky likey? Say, bog standard 3 speed and chop it about.
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    Or like this;
    Evans-1.jpg+p

a 1930's Evans, someone kindly gave me. As Tony the tiger says. It's greeeeeeeeeeeeat.
    Although if anyone has a 3 speed cross bar Sturmy Archer changer they wish to sell I'd be grateful. I'm using a borrowed 2 speeder at the moment.
  • meagain
    This

CLASSIC VINTAGE JIM HARRISON RACING TOURING CYCLE

on th'bay might meet the need?

If it were smaller I'd have been after it I think!

Usual disclaimers....
    d.j.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Here's mine http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 456895069/

To get something at the right price ,start by checkig out the following.Small adds in your local paper ,House clearance auctions, second hand shops . Also see if your LBS takes into second hand bikes .I have found a 1950,s Viiking for £15{ 3sp} and a 50's Freddie Grubb for nothing by asking. Not to forget the local tip.
    Other bikes I have been given also include a 1930's Sunbeam .My best find was an Armstrong Moth for £30 {Complete} from the CTC mag.
    Also if a bike has later parts on it, so what ,any bike owned and ridden by a cyclist normally does .Even back in the 50's they upgraded their bikes.
    bagpuss