Charly Wegelius

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited March 2008 in Pro race
is still pretty good...not a bad a result at all when you look at the names behind him. Millar, Cavendish and Wiggins get the limelight...but perhaps Wegelius is as worthy ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id= ... artali081b

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    It was a TTT. He's not much of a tester on his own.

Good mountain domestique, with more than an outside sniff of nicking stages though. I like the guy.

Don't think for a minute that he's clean, but there ain't many that are.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    Timoid. wrote:

your having a laugh.....he's having a laugh.....

i know Charlie...top guy and honest.
  • Timoid. wrote:
    It was a TTT. He's not much of a tester on his own.

Good mountain domestique, with more than an outside sniff of nicking stages though. I like the guy.

I've always got the impression that Charlie is clean. What makes you suspicious?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Who knows, perhaps some are applying the guilt by association by riding alongside Di Luca and because he rode at Mapei's infamous youth team?

It must be depressing for him to read this, not that he will, but imagine if he did stumble on this thread. Apparently he's one of the few riders to have permission to ride with a haematocrit above 50%, so it seems he has a big natural advantage.

But Brian, just because someone is a nice guy, it doesn't ensure they are clean. Forget Wegelius, let's wish him well, but many said Tyler Hamilton was charming, Landis was self-deprecating, Erik Zabel's a gent and Ivan Basso cares so much for his family. They're all liars, cheats and busted dopers too.

Recently this year, three riders have contacted British Cycling to express their concern that they're in a pro team and there's doping going on.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    BrianS wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

your having a laugh.....he's having a laugh.....

i know Charlie...top guy and honest.

A funny way to describe his actions in the 2005 World Championships in Madrid!! Dishonest and selfish would be more apt terms to use.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Liquigas is dirty. De Nardi was dirty. Mapei was dirty.

There is a habit on this forum of assuming for some reason that British riders are cleaner than the rest. Wiggins aside, I'm not really confident in any of them riding on mineral water.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    No there isn't. There is a habit on this forum of posting that there is a habit on this forum of assuming for some reason that British riders are cleaner than the rest.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Wow, he shares the same birthday as me. But he was born in Finland and I wasn't.
    Le Blaireau (1)