Thinking of Joining a club

jonah1
jonah1 Posts: 27
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I'm thinking of Joining a local cycling club, does any one know of any good one's for a first timer from the Chester/North Wales area.
I've been cycling for a couple of years on my own and have completd a couple of sportives last year, at the stage where I think I would benefit from riding in groups.
Has any one got any info on clubs in my area.

Comments

• cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    If no-one in your area responds try you nearest racing type bike shop or the local CTC group.
    Chris
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Whereabouts are you exactly?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    I'm in Connahs Quay and I'd certainly be interested in hearing if you find something suitable.

I've been riding around the lanes of North Wales for a couple of years on my own and I'm beginning to think a bit of company would be good. It might help me reach my target weight and get in shape for the sportives I've entered.

I just don't fancy the idea of being chewed up and spat out at the side of the road by a chain gang full of race whippets :?
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • jonah1
    I'm living in Northop
  • redddraggon
    jonah1 wrote:
    I'm living in Northop

I'm not too far away, I'm from Buckley....what routes do you do? Where do you go?
    pugwashcp wrote:
    I'm in Connahs Quay

Ouch. Never liked the place, my sister used to live there, all her husband's tools disappeared from the garage one night...from what I've seen it's pretty rough.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pugwashcp
    We live at the top end of the quay (the wife calls it Lower Northop) and compared to the estate in Barrow that I grew up on it's a million miles from being 'pretty rough' having said that I wouldn't want to live in the bottom quay. :?

Most of my routes start from the community centre car park in Northop and head out past the horticultural college, up over flint mountain and over towards the clwydian range.
  • jonah1
    Northop's a good place to start as you can go towards mold and Ruthin or towards halkyn and Holywell, either way there both hilly.
    I still have'nt been able to get up the Blwch pen barras pass from Ruthin to mold without putting a foot down on the sharp left hairpin!
  • pugwashcp
    I've never quite managed that one either, although I had a pop at it a couple of weeks back and managed to get over with only one stop. Clearing it is one of my goals for the summer. Hopefully I'll get the better of it when I tackle it on the Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge in June.
  • redddraggon
    Is this on the A494? What's the traffic like on it?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jonah1
    The blwch pen Barras pass is a lane off the main Ruthin/Mold Road that takes you back towards Mold, The main Moel Fammau Car parks are off it, Hardly any cars use it as its so steep.

I'm also signed up for the Dave Lloyd challange be it the 70 miles route, will probably be doing the Grand Fondo Cymru as well.
  • pugwashcp
    If you take the A494 out of Ruthin towards Mold you come to a junction at Llanbedr-d-c with a church on your left. Take the next left (I think it has an 'unsuitable for motor vehicles' sign on it) and start climbing past some houses. Go left at a minor junction and your on the Bwlch Penbarras.
  • jonah1
    pugwashcp wrote:
    If you take the A494 out of Ruthin towards Mold you come to a junction at Llanbedr-d-c with a church on your left. Take the next left (I think it has an 'unsuitable for motor vehicles' sign on it) and start climbing past some houses. Go left at a minor junction and your on the Bwlch Penbarras.

I should be out next weekend if you fancy riding some of the dave lloyd challange.
    I am on nights at moment which is the reason for late night forum!!
  • pugwashcp
    Sounds good.

I'll have to check I'm not working first so I'll keep you posted.
  • winkywonky
    winkywonky Posts: 228
    Try the Eureka Cafe at Two Mills. They will help you out with local clubs. Sunday mornings are jammed with lots of clubs all riding out from there (Chester, Birkenhead, Liverpool) into North Wales. I'm part of Liverpool Century and we do our winter runs out from there. So if we go that far to meet at the Mills then lots of other local clubs surely will.
  • pugwashcp
    Like the idea of the Two Mills cafe, just don't like the idea of tackling the roads around it. Hopefully once all the roadworks are done it'll be a little less hairy getting back towards Deeside.

Won't be tackling any roads this weekend though...buggered my shoulder up! :(
  • jonah1
    your right about Eureka cafe being a nightmare to get to, Maybe going through Saughall is best only the one nasty r/about.

Bummer about the shoulder, mine still give's me stick after an old lady did'nt look coming on to a r/about in mold, took me out completely.Ruined everything I was wearing and left me with plenty of chaffing!

Now its in the hands of solicitors.
  • winkywonky
    winkywonky Posts: 228
    Does seem ironic that the most popular cafe is slap bang in the middle of a horrible junction.