Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008 - The forums view?

keith
keith Posts: 1,149
edited June 2008 in XC and Enduro
After a long and deep look into the mountain bike for me, my research has lead me to the above bike. I was very close to ordering an On-One Inbred, but i really needed to 'try before you buy' as this bike is going to be with me for a very long time. The Rockhopper (RH) can also take a rack, so its up for the multi-day aspect of my riding that i intend on doing.

Does anybody have this or the 2007 version and want to comment on the choice?

Id really like to know what its like at climbing, decending, all day use and value for money. I think that its great value.

Comments

• Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    Got the lower specced RH Disk and it's very good.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Personally I think this is perhaps the best 600 quid bike on the market. Test of course, but very well thought out parts package, all hung off that M4 frame.
  • keith
    supersonic wrote:
    Personally I think this is perhaps the best 600 quid bike on the market. Test of course, but very well thought out parts package, all hung off that M4 frame.

The one that i will be purchasing is the Rockhopper Pro - £899.
  • supersonic
    Lol, I know, was more in response to the poster above me.

They have the same frame, but obviously the spec is improved.
  • keith
    Noted :-)
  • Justinjured
    Justinjured Posts: 142
    If you can hang on until may 18th there is the national demo day at newnham in Plymouth where you can test dozens of bikes to your hearts content. There are others before this but not in Devon. Not sure If Specialized are doing any of them.

There are quite a few manufacturers there this year and am assuming that there will be plenty at that price as it is a very competetive class. Check the link

Also a bonus is that the test course comprises parts of the national series soggy bottoms circuit.

Did this last year and it was superb and cant wait till this years.

http://www.bikedemodays.com/
  • keith
    I can't wait that long, I move to Hampshire on the 3rd of May -new job. Want to get some riding in here at the local trails before i go! :D
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Get a demo ride at Certini in Saltash.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • keith
    I collect the bike from the shop on Friday. Thanks.
  • FSR_XC
    Congrats on the purchase.

Will we be seeing you at Postbridge on Sunday?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12558595
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

• keith
    I dont have a car and have no way of getting up there im afraid. I would of loved to :(

Enjoy it!
  • FSR_XC
    keith wrote:
    I dont have a car and have no way of getting up there im afraid. I would of loved to :(

Enjoy it!

Try contacting the Yogi group, they might be able to help. Especially if you can get into Plymouth.

http://yogi.terapad.com

• icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    well i brought rockhopper disc at 2007 when it come out
    the basic disc verson have tora forks which makes the front end havier than the back
    however they come with light wheelset and alrite equipment
    specialized put hg-50 deore cassette on every single bike which seems a bit heavy and cheap
    the only reason make me want to buy it is the frame and i strip down the bike after 2 months of riding and put top-end parts on
    the frame can take everything and its great

the bike is good overall but a stumpjumper fsr is lighter than it out of the box
    RH is about 27pounds ot the box
    08 Sj FSR is about 26pounds out of the box
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • jammieeeee
    jammieeeee Posts: 389
    you could have a look at boardmans, from halfords, fantastic specs.

However, i ride a rockhopper (heavily upgraded) an i love it!
  • twicemonkey
    twicemonkey Posts: 94
    edited April 2008
    Before I had to drop my budget I was actually deciding between this and the Genesis Core 40. I'll be honest....I preferred the Genesis. It's the same price, almost same spec (though if I remember rightly, the fork was better) and it handled a lot better as well in terms of you could chuck it about a lot more and you can respond a bit better.

However I'd say test it first. Any good shop should be able to order it in (I used Evans Cycles, tho I planned on buying through the CTC shop - 10% discount).

Saying that I still think the Rockhopper Pro is a great bike and looks the nuts. That blue that you never see on anything else with the white fork looks awesome and it was still really nice to ride. The only real qualm was travel adjustment was a bit fiddley and I can imagine it hurting a little on a cold day.

Good luck with ya choice
    I may love XC, but I won't shave my legs, dammit!
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    I have the Rock Hopper Pro 2007,

Its a pleasure to ride. I can't comment on comparisons as I have only ever ridden Specialized. I upgraded from the Hard Rock then the Rockhopper disc and now the pro.

Its very dependable and I find it really comfortable on the climbs. I am normally one of the first guys to the top. Its light enough in front to be able to shift the bike around on a climb and find the best line, but well enough balanced that you aren't constantly worrying about going over backwards.

All and all, I think you will be very happy with your purchase. Mine hangs on my wall with pride. :lol:
  • ACDCwmb
    ACDCwmb Posts: 225
    2007 Rockhopper Disc

2424149674_5f99c9d6e8.jpg
    Upgrades so far...

100mm Rockshox Reba's dual air (lighter, better than the stock coil Tora 302's)
    CK Theadless headset (black) (the stock headset died)
    90mm Thomson Stem (shorter, better riding position)
    Easton ea70 low riser bars (better riding position)
    ODI Ruffian grips (much better than the stock grips)
    SDG Bell Air saddle (killed the stock one)
    Specilized seatpost and QR (stock, OK for now)
    Avid Juicy 5's on 160mm rotors (killed one of the stock juicy 3's)
    Shimano XT Shifters (2 way shifting :D )
    Shimano XT Shadow rear mech (stock LX one died)
    Shimano Deore front mech (stock, still going strong :shock: )
    Shimano XTR gear cables (stock cables died)
    Shimano Deore cranks (Shimano 2008 XT on order :P )
    Shimano XT cassette (needed a new one due to the alu free hub)
    Shimano HG93 XT chain (one of many)
    Mavic xc717 rims (black with black spokes)(deore and specilized stock hubs died)
    Hope Pro II hubs (red)
    Shimano XT QR skewers
    Panaracer 2.1 XC Pro front, either 2.1 XC Pro, 2.1 Trailraker or 2.1 Razor on the rear
    Shimano SPD 540 Pedals

Weight, around 24lbs with the XT cranks, amazing ride, light and fast.
    [url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]
  • supersonic
    The fork looks very low.
  • ACDCwmb
    ACDCwmb Posts: 225
    I usually run about 10-15lbs more - pressure which brings the forks down a bit to 90mm...I put a bit more - pressure in the other day just to see what happened and the travel dropped to 80mm, didn't like the feel of it that way though...felt way too soft.
    [url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]
  • jeffers696
    jeffers696 Posts: 328
    ye me too i love my little rock
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    nice upgrades ACDC doing something similar slowly myself, i run my fork totally opposite to you though i have more in the positive than negative, 70-65 i prefer the springy feel, gotta love the reba it's so easy to really change it's feel :)
  • s2u.black
    s2u.black Posts: 1
    I absolutely love my RH disc. It's my first Specialized bike having been a GT man for years and everything about it is a joy. I particularly love the brakes and I know a couple of people who have been a bit sniffy about the forks but I've put this through some very badly misjudged high speed cornering on rough rocky terrain and it's glided over and around no problem!
    I've been out on some fast bumpy descents and it has never let me down. i'd be amazed if there's a better bike in the 550 - 600 quid bracket.
  • HansRoaming
    HansRoaming Posts: 41
    Haven't got a pro but I do have a 2008 Rockhopper Disc in silver.

Have upgraded the following

Tyres: Panaracer Trailraker PRs in winter and Conti Speekinggs 2.1 Protection in summer (hate punctures)
    Rear cogs: Shimano XT
    Front chainset: Shimano 2008 XT Crankset, feels nice and color coordinates nicely :)
    Pedals: Shimano M540 SPDs (getting DMR V8s for when the gf and me go out on more techy stuff)
    Nav: Garmin 705 GPS and Topo map, takes away the anxiety of 'where the f*ck are we and how do we get back!' :)

Future: 2009 Silver Rockshox Reba Race forks, like the look and will make the front end lighter.

I really love this bike and I'm looking forward to upgrading to something that will be much like your 2008 Pro.
    2008 Rockhopper Disc (Silver)
    2009 RockShox SID Race forks.
    XT Drivetrain
    Continental Speed Kings (PR) Traction
    Garmin 705 Navigation
    Fat bloke on a bike engine
  • track40
    track40 Posts: 20
    Ive owned a rockhopper disc for about 2 months and only really changed the pedals (DMR v12s made a lovely mess of my shins thanks to the grub screws) the saddle and seat post and ditched the fast track tires and really cant see any reason to spend any more money on it until i break something
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    As I've said in a few posts, i love the RH frame, would love to transfer all the components from my Boardman to the RH, would make for the perfect bike, well for me anyway. 8)