Single speed for TT?

madmix
madmix Posts: 65
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Anyone else use singlespeed/fixed for TT's?

Is it legal?

Thinking of chucking some aero bars/wing bars on my winter fixie to use for TTs if possible.

Only reason is I seem to be faster on her than my "good" steed

Any advice appreciated.
madmix

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Fixed wheels are fairly commonly used for TTs - indeed, there are some events that are only open to a certain sized fixed wheel gear. I suspect that either fixed or single-speeds are allowed as long as they comply with road laws (ie fixed wheel bike must have at least a front brake) although you may well not be quite as quick on one of these compared to a geared bike although I think Chris Boardman set records with his fixed wheel bike.

You'll need to choose your gearing pretty carefully for the course and weather conditions I think to make sure you are not over-geared. You will probably want to use a bigger gear than your normal one for general riding though.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    One of our club members won the GHS 10 as a schoolboy. IIRC he did a 22 on 86" fixed. It used to be quite common to ride hill climbs on fixed.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    One Richard Thoday (Matlock) used to frequent (C+) Special Interests and is a mean T/T fixed man! All distances as I recall! Just pottering along with him is a scary business for knacked old folk like me....
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Riding TTs on fixed is very common. In most events (though perhaps not the really hilly ones) you'll usually find a handful of riders on fixed because of the efficiency benefits of not having a rear mech, having a very clean chain line and the fly-wheel effect. It's a very sensible option and I'd do it myself if it didn't mean sorting out yet another bike when I haven't got room in my house for all my bikes as it is.

I've never heard of anyone riding single-free in TTs though - I can't really see why anyone would unless they had no other bike to ride. It would have all the disadvantages of fixed with none of the benefits.

I'm not surprised you feel faster on your fixed - it's very possible that you are! :D

Ruth
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I ride TT's frequenty on a fixed - no gears gives me one less thing to worry about - 10s are tolerable, 20s sufferable and 25s verging on very painful as you tend to hold the same position in the saddle and pull yourself more onto the saddle. I couldn't even contemplate a 50 although I know many do. I'm not sure about single-speed - having a freewheel means you need a back brake too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I used to very between fixed and gears during the early seventies, many riders did at that time. I'm not sure whether I ever rode a fifty on one though.

Like Monty says you have one less thing to worry about. Hills were no problem as there was nothing too severe on a TT, but 12 1/2 miles into a stiff headwind could have you turning the air blue.