Sodding weather over the weekend

Harry B
Harry B Posts: 1,239
edited March 2008 in The bottom bracket
There was no kids football over the weekend and for once I had plenty of time put aside for cycling :) In the end though I only managed to get out on Friday and then it was blo*dy windy. At one point I was cycling downhill and peddling like mad but only doing 13mph :shock: due to a strong headwind :? Saturday it snowed, Sunday it snowed and guess what it did on Monday...it snowed. It was lovely and bright when I left for the train this morning though :evil:

Roll on global warming I say :wink:

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Harry B wrote:
    There was no kids football over the weekend and for once I had plenty of time put aside for cycling :) In the end though I only managed to get out on Friday and then it was blo*dy windy. At one point I was cycling downhill and peddling like mad but only doing 13mph :shock: due to a strong headwind :? Saturday it snowed, Sunday it snowed and guess what it did on Monday...it snowed. It was lovely and bright when I left for the train this morning though :evil:

yeh, know what you mean - no kids swimming on saturday morning but no cycling either. I would have gone out but I'm coughing and a bit snuffly so trying to rest before Cheshire Cat Sportive at the weekend.
    I'm sick of the cold now - some warmth would be wonderful wouldn't it?
    Hows the pedals?
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    And guess what the 5 day forecast for Yorkshire on Saturday says?

Heavy rain and 20mph winds.

I've had to structure my training around turbo and gym and I know it's not anywhere near as good as real road miles.

I hope the Cheshire event at least takes place in the eye of the storm.

Is a bit of sunshine and calm too much to ask?
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • went out on sunday and monday. Just got caughtin the start of the snow on sunday which slowed the last 15 minutes but at least I made it out. 110 miles done in two days. Trying really hard to get over the 1100 mark for this month despite the weathers best attempts at thwarting it and also despite having 2 days off one of which is a sunday which is usually a 65+ mile day.

two and a half days left to do it!

Gats
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Forecast for Sunday:

Through the latter part of the weekend we are likely to keep rather unsettled conditions. Rain is expected in many areas, and this will be heavy in places, with some blustery showers and strong winds following, mainly in the north and west

= Wet Cheshire Cat

The turn off for the 70 mile route may be very tempting if the conditions are awful.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Could be worse. I live in Toledo, Ohio(USA) and it has snowed almost every weekend
    since December. I guess my sacrifice to the cycling gods didn't work all that well. Next
    time I"ll be sure to toss in a couple of virgins along with the clincher tires.

Dennis Noward
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I cycled back from the cycle shop (wheel was getting retrued) in an evil hail storm

Ow ow ow ow ow ow etc it fricking hurt
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    popette wrote:
    Harry B wrote:

Hows the pedals?

The pedals are good, thanks. As others have said previously it's just a matter of getting used to them. Given the weather that may take a while. I've got some time off at the end of April so hoping for some decent weather and plenty of opportunity to just ride
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    SWMBO is riding a 150km audax on Saturday - north Notts again. If the weather's decent I'll head into the Peak but it's not looking good. It's our wedding anniversary too; we're obviously not very conventionally romantic :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    The weather here in Malaysia is about 35c in the morning over 40c in the afternoon, over 90% humidity, and when it rains ( quite often) it like a monsoon, and I get a warm shower

am I missing the english weather???? I don't think so LOL

george
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Hello George, Good to hear from you. How's tricks?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Sat
    Mar

Day 11°CSW 21 mph 38 mph Very Good
    Night 7°C SSW 15 mph 26 mph Very Good

38 mph Gusts :shock: I don't fancy get blown into the path of a Red London Bus

Hope this forecast changes
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I will be in my shed recuperating from a nasty back problem so weather won't be an issue. Something in my lower back has been out of alignment for the last three weeks leading to major muscle cramps and inability to bend. It (whatever the hell it was) finally crunched back into place on Sunday whilst I was doing hoovering :oops: I can't describe what a massive relief it was - now I'm desperately reading up all I can about "core stability" exercises because I want a lower back that is so muscular nothing will ever be able to slide out of place again.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Pete789uk
    Pete789uk Posts: 46
    Yep it was not good I only got on Monday for a ride and yep caught in snow storm which is not good for a southern softy.
    Been commuting in this week and weather been ok except got soaked last night on way home.

I have my first ever Audax planned for Sun the start of summertime from Stevenage and checked weather 23mph winds great joy I can put up with most things except bloody wind

So pissed off now
  • got three days off so am taking the girl to Paris for her birthday.

Was thinking of taking my bike but I don't think she'd appreciate that somehow.

Gats
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I thought that when you mentioned "the girl" you were talking about your bike :lol:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Carpe Diem
    Carpe Diem Posts: 238
    I rode everyday over easter, the roads were quite clear.

I woke up Sunday to thick snow, so I got the sardar out and rode up to Hollingworth lake, it was one of the most scenic rides I have done for a long while, snow covered hills and valleys all the way down from Cliviger through to the lake.

I try not to let the weather beat me :twisted: