Riding In Rain Gear

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited March 2008 in The bottom bracket
I have read many comments saying that wearing Lycra shorts/tights in wet weather is best as it dries quickly and does not get heavy with water (like baggy trousers do).

I currently wear some baggy shorts with a padded Lycra liner.

Do you ride with shorts on in the wet weather or would maybe Lycra tights be a better option, with the baggy shorts on top??

Comments

• gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    Lycra (or micro fleece, or what ever) tights are good when it rains. They don't get anywhere near as cold as shorts, and they don't gain much weight. If you're looking for a good cheap pair, the DHB ones are really good value.

Also, why wear baggy shorts over the top? Don't be shy man!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Used to ride quite often in shorts and Gore jacket when raining. Could handle wet legs as they were pumping so didn't get cold but a cold top half, nooooooo!!.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I wear bib tights/shorts whenever I go on the bike for any decent length of time - even my 6 mile commute. They only take a couple of hours to dry when I'm at work, so at least I can set off for home dry.

I don't get the whole embarrassment thing with lycra - your already on a bike in the rain and people will already be looking at you funny - so why not go the whole hog and be a man and wear the proper kit?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    It all depends on the temperature.

In Summer rain I wear as little as possible commensurate with keeping warm. That's usually a Pertex top, bare legs and definitely no socks - I also have a pair of EagerSport nylon spats which keep the worst off your shoes and lower legs if it's bit cooler (shoes take longer to dry out).

If it's a bit chilly then training tights and over shoes with a heavier jacket. I've given up on over-trousers which are only of any use for short rides when wearing normal clothes. My wife has a pair of so-called rain legs, which just cover the front of the thighs and shins. She swears by them. They're not pretty though.

The wettest ride I ever did was a 300k audax when it started raining just after the start and never stopped for the whole 19 hours. At the finish I took off my clothes (including jacket, over trousers and over shoes) and put them in a plastic bin-liner thoughtfully provided by the organisers and couldn't believe how heavy it all was.

Like RedDragon I don't understand the embarrassment of wearing Lycra. I wear what's comfortable and Lycra shorts are comfortable. I may not bother for a short shopping trip but always for commuting etc.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    i don't have the shape for lycra but I gave up being embarassed. I just don't commute wearing them. They do dry well though
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business