New bike thread to end them all

Spatulala
Spatulala Posts: 291
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Can't test ride em all, so thought I'd start in the reviews section for all the hardtails between 5-700 squigleys that scored either 4.5 or 5 out of 5 stars.

Which should I try out? Which are best for a newbie who will most likely spend 80% of time on tarmac and 20% on trails? Are there any legends not on the list? Have spoken to a couple of bike shops, however they only recommend their favourite brands (first one said Kona or Giant, second one said Scott). Going to buy from a dealer (not online) so they set it up for me properly, which may make some of them unbuyable locallly (devon).

Genesis Core 1.0 (the only 5 star bike)
Genesis Core 2.0
GT Avalanche 1.0
Carrera Fury
Focus Northern Lite
Marin B17
Merlin Malt 1
Scott Reflex 20
Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27
Merida Matts Sub 60-D
Saracen Zen 1
Felt Q820

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well which ones can you test ride? lose the rest for starters. If you cant try it it does not really want to be on there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • landranger
    landranger Posts: 220
    Hi,
    I'm new to this lark as well. I bought a Specialized Rockhopper Disc after trying a few bikes.
    Seeing as I hadn't rode a bike myself in years I didn't know what I was looking for TBH. Needless to say I sat on a few and had no idea what I should be 'feeling'
    I plumped for the Spesh cos of reviews and really, if your spending around 600 quid, theres not much to choose from on most of the bikes in that price area - so the guys on here were saying. You'll find that whenever anyone posts a choose me a bike thread (it's what I sensed anyhoo)

But yeah, it's right, just sit and try them. Times moved on loads since my last MTB so they all felt great. If you've got mates that do MTB'ing ask them what they look for. I don't know anyone that rides unfortunately :roll:
    Sink the eight ball. Buy the lady a drink. And nobody knows my name.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    first off, pick what kind of riding yo wil be doing, a couple of those bikes are different to each other.

the b17 and the saracen are more hardcore bikes iirc so might not be suitable if you are after a lightweight xc bike.

the b17 is only 8 speed as well so would be stricken fom my list.

the focus is ace value plus is suprisingly lightweight, especially for the money!!

i have seent the carrera in the flesh and cant believe what a nice bike it is, i have never ridden it but it is v well sepcced and looks like a bike worth twice as much. lots of folks on here have them and are very happy. would probably be my choice in all honesty and atleast you can go and see one in almost any halfords.

as for the rest, i dont know anything about them. as a rule, make sure you get hydraulic discs, an adjustable fork (pref from rockshox or a big manufacturer as oppose to a suntour type thing) and 27 speed.
  • Spatulala
    Thanks both. I was worried about narrowing the list down in case everyone united behind a bike that was worth travelling further to see.

The following bikes I know are available locally, there are a couple of other bike shops I haven't visited yet

GT Avalanche 1.0
    Carrera Fury
    Scott Reflex 20
    Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27
    Saracen Zen 1
    Marin B17

Plus dealers that sell Kona, Giant, Specialized, Ridgeback, Dawes, Trek, Cannondale,
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I have the 2007 Fury and can vouch for it as an excellent XC hardtail for the money,I have made a few bargain upgrades but its basically standard and has taken a real winter beating this year with no hassle at all,you would not be dissapointed .As said above it looks like a more expensive bike than it is!!

Heres mine(bars,saddle,pedals and seatpost have been upgraded with second hand bargains)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/rachminibitch/cwmcarn/004.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    see what i mean? gorgeous looking bike!!
  • Spatulala
    Oh she's a honey all right. I even went to Halfords at lunchtime to cop an eyeful of her in the metal, where I encountered a problem.

I was hoping to take advantage of the cycle to work scheme to help pay for her, but Halfords will only do it for big companies - so I'm forced to give my money to a local bike shop who will work with the scheme for small companies.

And Focus only sell online - no other recommendations? A local shop are stockists for Genesis - so they can be added to the shortlist.

Thanks for helping,
  • keith
    keith Posts: 1,149
    Go to Hot Pursuits in Totnes - the Industrial estate bit. Try a Rockhopper Disk. They are amazingly helpful in there too and know their stuff. Highly recommended.
  • Spatulala wrote:
    A local shop are stockists for Genesis - so they can be added to the shortlist.

If that is the case then I would def give the core 10 a look. I have had my core 10 for 3 weeks now and I am completely in love with it. Value for money wise its a steal (especially if you can get your LBS to knock £45 off the price like I did).

Like the others have said you really to try a few bikes out before you make your final choice. They day I got my bike I went on a little trip around my local area giving each bike on my short list one last try before I parted with my cash.

I am going to spend the rest of the day dreaming about my Core 10 and wishing that I was outside rather than at work :(
  • Spatulala
    Saw the GT dealer today - no Avalanche 1.0's in Europe at the mo. Recommends Giant XTC 4.5 (£500) or XTC 3.5 (£625). Also recommending a Charge Duster for £625 (which i thought was a bit tastier than the Giant?)

Votes on here for Rockhopper Disc and Genesis Core 10

I'll try em out and let you know...

Thanks n all
  • Spatulala
    Ok so had a trial, really liked the feel of the Avalanche 1.0 (that I managed to track down). Thanks to the cycle work I can afford a nicer bike, is it worth spending more to get more?

Option 1 Avalanche 1.0 2008 - £499
    Option 2 Avalanche Expert 2008- £699
    Option 3 Zaskar Expert 2007 - £749

I'm sure the £500 bike would be fantastic, it's only cos of the fact that I pay little more than half price thanks to the taxman turning a blind eye, which means option 3 would only cost me £125 or so more than option 1. A steal?

Ta
  • I was going to spend over £1000 on my new bike, but with a bit of research here and visiting a couple of bike shops I've just bought a GT Avalanche 1 and am very impressed.

The advice I was given, and it was aimed purley at my riding style and previous bike was, that I wouldn't really notice the difference between a £500 bike and a £750 one.

I have to say that my avalanche is well up to the rides that I want it for.

Be wary of spending more money than is necessary for your needs is what I am trying to say. I'm going to use the cash saved for a few more riding days out.

What would the avalanche cost on the ride to work scheme?
  • Ricey77
    Ricey77 Posts: 92
    I've recently bought the 08 Expert on exactly the same scheme. I am absolutely over the moon with the bike, it does exactly what i wanted it to do. I also looked at the Avalanche 1.0 and IMHO the Expert just seems to be finished off with some nicer bits of kit. :lol::lol:
  • andybb
    andybb Posts: 1
    I'm newbie to mountain biking
    But after internet, local shop, and advice from friends I plumped for a specialized rockhopper disc......... local bike shop delived it to my office Tue evening.....just had a burn around some local cycle tracks this afternoon.......love the bike :D
    Can't wait to put through it's first off road test 8)
  • Spatulala
    Well wish me luck, another Avalanche 1.0 takes to the trails. £450 for an 08 model, can't wait to taste some local mud...