PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t wrote:
    :shock:

hardknott-ck.jpg

Is it wrong to be salivating over that picture?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005

Is it wrong to be salivating over that picture?

It's a challenge isn't it?
    It's Hardknott East -descended in the FWC-brakes in use most of the way down,

At the very bottom of the descent there is an unlikely steep section-just before the bridge, which is nearly as much challenge getting down in one piece as it is getting up it at all
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • LeighB wrote:
    I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to cycling gadgets; has anyone used a heart rate monitor and cycle computer to ascertain what these climbs do to you?

I'd need to dig out my data, but I remember being at 201 bpm on the ascent of Hardknott during last year's FWC. I did have a white van behind me, wheelspinning on its way up the hill. There was no way I was stopping to let him get by me!

I'll not be riding the FWC this year (have been studying for 5 months for pro exams :shock: ) but after the encouragement I got from roadside spectators helped me clear Hardknott, I may pitch up to watch and shout encouragement.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    I did have a white van behind me, wheelspinning on its way up the hill.

If it was a RWD Transit with no load they have no grip, if it's wet you need 4th gear to get moving in a car park.

On the previous mention of Fife, never been into the Path of Condie on a bike, doesn't look as bad as some of the steeper sections over the Cupar hills in a car. Steepest bit there is a short section on the road up from Kilmany (if you take the shortest line, using the wrong side makes it easy). Never tried the Strathkinnes High Road from Dairsie Bridge though.
    The Balmerino -> Gauldry coach Road beats me but thats psychological can't even do it in 26-36 :shock:

Was in the lakes once going for a hike, mates wanted to start from Ravensglass because they didn't understand that Yellows were roads. They were still asking the question "Are you sure this is a road?" as we went up the Hardknott from Cockley Beck in the car.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    nwallace wrote:
    On the previous mention of Fife, never been into the Path of Condie on a bike, doesn't look as bad as some of the steeper sections over the Cupar hills in a car. Steepest bit there is a short section on the road up from Kilmany (if you take the shortest line, using the wrong side makes it easy). Never tried the Strathkinnes High Road from Dairsie Bridge though.
    The Balmerino -> Gauldry coach Road beats me but thats psychological can't even do it in 26-36 :shock:
    Ah now you're in my back yard.
    Path of Condie is the steepest near here, much steeper than the wee climb from Kilmany, or the steady grind up from Dairsie Bridge.
    As for the Balmerino -> Gauldry coach road, well that's outside my front door and gets done as hill reps when the weather's too bad to go further afield. 39:21 does that one for me - so I'm beginning to feel more relaxed about Hardknott..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    [/quote]
    - so I'm beginning to feel more relaxed about Hardknott..[/quote]

Don't be mate :wink:

I've also did that Castle Campbell Climb....I agree Path of Condie is well steepest around here...but not on same planet as the ones you'll be doing in a few weeks..I don't really worry about Dunning upto Path of Condie...but me and evryone I know are always sh*tting it approaching Boot..I went up Glen Quiach from Amulree yesterday with my Bro...we bot did it sitting down...no problem at all...we were both saying at the top...'nowt compared to the Lake monsters'.

I really look forward to your experience after the Lakeland Loop StevenNP, please write in and let us know what you thought of it all?

Good Luck!
  • Rich K47
    Rich K47 Posts: 62
    It was amazing up there today, perfect weather! Did a big loop from Kendal via Coniston, Dunnerdale and Birker Fell to Hardknott, Wrynose and Blea Tarn. Had a word with myself at the bottom of Hardknott and all was fine, I even got a round of applause at the top! Roll on the Lakeland Loop and the Fred Whitton :D
  • One things for sure...between Boot and Little Langdale...that 8kms of tarmac is the toughest strech of road in the UK...no matter which direction you do it

Obviously haven't ridden every road in the UK but I would bet next months wages that the above statement is true.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    SteveNcp wrote:
    Ah now you're in my back yard.
    Path of Condie is the steepest near here, much steeper than the wee climb from Kilmany, or the steady grind up from Dairsie Bridge.
    As for the Balmerino -> Gauldry coach road, well that's outside my front door and gets done as hill reps when the weather's too bad to go further afield.

I set a target of reaching the Grit bin first time I did it (I did once try the other road where i was walking after the end of the central road markings) I think I have managed to climb it without stopping once. I either fail at the spot where the grit bin is/was or the first corner.

I consider my best climb ever to be spotting 2 luminous yellow characters starting to climb the gutchers when I was at peacehill and passing them about halfway up, but i did have a target.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    First year I did the FWC there were two guys absieling down Hardnott.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Well after my ride yesterday, a very blustery 37 miles where we took in Birdy Brow, Im papping it even more as I struggled badly to get to the top. Its one of the toughest climbs around here but not a patch on the big boys in the Lakes.

Birdy is a great climb and just when you think you've made it, you turn the corner and it gets steeper for another 1/4 mile!!
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    I've never asked my mate (but will now thinking about it) - it must be quite scary on the back of the tandem going up 25-30% gradients. It must feel like the whole things just going to tip backwards.

Wrynose West was a doddle yesterday - stonking tailwind all the way up - reckon it was worth at least a gear. But...
    We bust a chain on the tandem going up Wrynose yesterday - and we hadn't even got to the steep bit. That was an interesting experience! Bit depressing 'cos the chain was new (only done about 100 miles) and it didn't break where it was joined (no links taken out or anything).

Anyhow, the day turned into a bit of a disaster 'cos we also bust one of the pawls in the rear Hadley (bombproof - yeah right - not in the Lakes they're not) hub. So, 30 miles to go to home and couldn't freewheel - jeez that's hard. Now I know why folk train on fixed.

Great day though - if a tad expensive ;-)
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    My little brothers trashed our tandem on the way down Hardknott , brakes are important as chains. As for gears, what do you usually ride on a long hilly ride, It's not The hill that will kill you it's the 10 previous ones. in my own neck of the woods I can ride Boltby on the middle chain ring 25 rear, but I wouldn't dream of doing that on a 100 miler.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace