upgrade ideas on a budget

fuzzy logic
fuzzy logic Posts: 39
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I currentley own a secialized sirrus (baisic). I would like to know what can I do to upgrade the bike,.I am happy cycling 60 (day) miles but i am looking to do 100 what could be changed to increase the bikes efficiency over distance and at what cost?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Change to drops and STIs.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    wheels and tyres would be a usual first choice as you can take them with you if you change the bike and they were very expensive.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • How much of a job would it be to change to drops? I would imagine that i would need new brake levers and new gear shifters, i can see this getting expensive?
  • RedAende
    RedAende Posts: 158
    I would imagine that i would need new brake levers and new gear shifters,

the combined component is known as STI as mentioned above. Could get expensive depending on model, Shimano Tiagra STI's should suit you fine.

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    MTB bar ends would give you an optional hand position for longer rides and wouldn't cost much.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/CategoryProducts.aspx?categoryName=Bar%20Ends&cat=cycle

Red Rock
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    The change to drops would probably be prohibitively expensive due to the need for STI levers, lots of new cabling and possibly new brake callipers or some kind of adapter to get the STIs to run with the v-brakes that I believe are standard on the sirrus. It would also leave you with a funny shape bike as the Sirrus frame is designed for flat bars and is longer to accomodate them. You'd probably end up spending more than the bike is worth...

I would say wheels and tyres are the way to go - minimal hassle and transferable to another bike in the future.

Simon
  • Looks like it will be bar ends and new tyers (23mm, any recomendation welcomed) for now. Ive read in other posts that people have changed their seat post as an upgrade what would be practical considering the price of the bike and how would it efect the riding?
    I think thats me lot of questions for now.
    Thanks
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Looks like it will be bar ends and new tyers (23mm, any recomendation welcomed) for now. Ive read in other posts that people have changed their seat post as an upgrade what would be practical considering the price of the bike and how would it efect the riding?
    I think thats me lot of questions for now.
    Thanks
    I thoroughly recommend Specialized All Conditions Pro tyres.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Ive read in other posts that people have changed their seat post as an upgrade what would be practical considering the price of the bike and how would it efect the riding?
    Thanks

If you have a steel seat post £15 - £20 will buy a lighter aluminium/alloy one, approx £60 will buy a lighter carbon one. TBH i doubt if you would notice any difference in riding. Although theoretically it would be easy to take an expensive seatpost with you and replace it with the old one when you sold/upgraded your bike in practice it probs would not because of the vast range of diameters.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    feel wrote:
    Although theoretically it would be easy to take an expensive seatpost with you and replace it with the old one when you sold/upgraded your bike in practice it probs would not because of the vast range of diameters.

Get a smaller diameter one and use a shim with it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr