I hope Leif Hoste wins Tour of Flanders this year

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
edited March 2008 in Pro race
(assuming he's riding)

He's come 2nd three times now, and it would take a heart of stone top fail to be moved by how upset he was when he lost to Ballan last year because (IMHO) he timed his pedal stroke incorrectly .

Current Belgian TT champion - with Cancellara showing that testers can beat sprinters in their races, Hoste only has his inner voice of failure to stop him.

Thoughts?
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Big legs... small brain. You need luck too. But compare Hoste's clumsy riding to the precision of Chincellara...
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Spartacus was hardly precise in Flanders last year...

Does anyone know if his nickname comes from the chinny, facial-be-haired supertwerp 'Sporticus' in horrendous Icelandic kids prog Lazytown*?

*yes, I have a toddler...

Strava is not Zen.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    No, it comes from the Roman slave leader, who led a rebellion by the slaves. The character in the epic film is played by Kirk Douglas, and someone said he looked like Douglas. See for yourself here:
    http://www.wcftr.commarts.wisc.edu/imag ... rtacus.jpg
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Back on topic ( :wink: ), I'm with Kleber on this one; Hoste is strong in the leg but thick in the head. Being Flemish I think he gets a bit carried away in Flanders every year and wastes energy in the finale showing his rivals how strong he is. If he rode a bit more cannily he might win it but three second places would suggest he'll never learn this lesson.
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    Should be a great race.

I think I read somewhere that this is Cancellara's main aim for the year? and we've seen the form he's in.

Gilbert too. And Ballan to repeat?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Kléber wrote:
    No, it comes from the Roman slave leader, who led a rebellion by the slaves. The character in the epic film is played by Kirk Douglas, and someone said he looked like Douglas. See for yourself here:
    http://www.wcftr.commarts.wisc.edu/imag ... rtacus.jpg

Still think mine's better...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sadalit/308207795/

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Kléber wrote:
    Big legs... small brain. You need luck too. But compare Hoste's clumsy riding to the precision of Chincellara...

He's kinda lazy too. You never see him on the attack or anywhere near the front. You could see evidence of this in Het Volk and K-B-K last month. He was constantly gesticulating at the other riders to do some work, yet never actually did any himself.

Not a rider that I find easy to like.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As others have said, you have to be strong of head and leg to win Flanders - clearly Hoste's actions make him think he's a 'patron' who demands respect - but he's not actually won much and I can't see it changing soon either - recent history suggest he's not likely to win. Money would be better staked on Phillipe Gilbert or even Thor Hushovd IMO.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    I hate when he starts to wawe his hands in the break, often not willing to work himself at all, just throwing his arms to the other riders.
    But I'd like to see him win too(without the wawing), he has come close s many times..
  • metroid
    metroid Posts: 255
    vermooten wrote:
    and it would take a heart of stone top fail to be moved by how upset he was when he lost to Ballan last year because (IMHO) he timed his pedal stroke incorrectly .
    i must have a heart of stone!! i watched it again last night, and thought he brought it on himself. both had been putting in equally hard turns to stay away, and so hoste was in the perfect position with 500 to go. but his early kick to the line made him look amateur. ballan had time to jump on his wheel, then take a breather even before he came around. the win was gifted on a plate. just my POV . . :wink:
  • ram038
    ram038 Posts: 187
    metroid wrote:
    vermooten wrote:
    and it would take a heart of stone top fail to be moved by how upset he was when he lost to Ballan last year because (IMHO) he timed his pedal stroke incorrectly .
    i must have a heart of stone!! i watched it again last night, and thought he brought it on himself. both had been putting in equally hard turns to stay away, and so hoste was in the perfect position with 500 to go. but his early kick to the line made him look amateur. ballan had time to jump on his wheel, then take a breather even before he came around. the win was gifted on a plate. just my POV . . :wink:

Metroid where did you watch this can you send a link please.