Nintendo DS...any good?

TheBoyBilly
TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
edited March 2008 in The bottom bracket
I need ( oh alright, I want ) a handheld games machine for when it's quiet at work on nights. Does anyone recommend the DS? I thought about a PSP but I don't think I would use all it's multi-media gubbins and think it might be a bit of a waste whereas the Nintendo seems to have a lot going for it at a more affordable price.
To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde

Comments

• Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    They're not bad, but I'd recommend the Lite rather than the original version. Much nicer to use and adjustable screen brightness, makes it a bit easier to see what's going on in the darker games!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    If you get Brain Training games be prepared to be addicted. I have re-named it the Nan-Tendo as both my Mother and Mother In Law both had them for christmas and are now like a pair of teenagers constantlly looking into the screen!!!
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • I bought a DS Lite night long ago and I think it's well worth the money. I spend too much time playing it sometimes lol. There is a great selection of games on it. :)
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    yeh, it's great - I started on brain training games and have now graduated to Sonic and Mario at the Olympic games. I'm sh!t hot on that - I can move that stylus so damn fast!
    :D
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    The boy has a DS and loves it, I have a PSP and love that!

I find the DS a bit too childish, and like the multimedia stuff I can use on the PSP. Although the best reason to get a PSP has to be this....... http://www.play.com/Games/PSP/4-/3362618/Pro-Cycling-Season-2007-Le-Tour-De-France/Product.html
  • TheBoyBilly
    Thank you for the great replies. I think I will go for the DS. I enjoyed my original GameBoy (and nowadays the SP) so know what to expect from Nintendo...great games to while the time away. The PSP, while I can see it's a marvellous bit of kit, is too much for what I need it for. I can do all the multimedia stuff here on my PC if I need to. No, for just gaming, and gaming alone I think my mind is made up....... I think :?
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    The PSP is certainly much better, but the games for DS are generally cheaper, so for your usage, I would say DS is probably best. Aren't you meant to be working? :)
  • TheBoyBilly
    Aren't you meant to be working?

Lol, no not at the moment Huggy but I'll be on night shift again at the end of next week. I drive trains for a living and, after taking the empty stock to the depot for cleaning, etc. I get a fair bit of time before bringing a train out for the morning service. Some blokes watch a video, some grap a nap....I generally read a book or, in future, play on a DS. Nice work if you can get it. I love my job. :D
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Why not buy a goat for some poor African village and spend the down time at work imagining how useful the goat you funded is proving.
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    Why not buy a goat for some poor African village and spend the down time at work imagining how useful the goat you funded is proving.
    A very valid point, albeit somewhat random. :lol:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • TheBoyBilly
    I actually did that once (buy a goat that is, 1992 I think it was) on Children in Need. £50 they said would buy one, so in flash out came my credit card.....I wonder if it helped?