Newbie question

sonnyb
sonnyb Posts: 35
edited March 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all I am a newbie to this forum but biking is a passion of mine, though I do more road riding than trail riding. I cycle 50+ plus miles per week to work and everywhere else I can!
I have two bikes, one is a Boardman Pro Hybrid and other was only purchased this weekend. It is a Carrera Kraken mtb, which I got a good deal on from Halfords at £260 with £50 of accessories thrown in. Anyway I had it fitted with a set of those slick looking deflector style mudguards, that attach to the seat post for the rear and the down tube for the front. Can anyone tell me how effective these are in the rain, for plain road riding?

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Really depends on the exact mudguard, but I would say they would keep most water off you, unless you go crashing through deep puddles.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • sonnyb
    sonnyb Posts: 35
    Well the front is a replica of the 'crud catcher' and the rear is a sort of paddle shaped thing that site above the tyre. I guess I will find out soon enough how good they are!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    waterproof outlayer will work better... strip it off to become clean again!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I use crud catchers on my MTB and while they're pretty good you can still get spray from the front tyre thrown up into your face on wet roads.