Swelling after crash

cymro68
cymro68 Posts: 9
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Hi
First post here and a bit of an embarassing query :oops:
Last Thursday (10 days ago), I fell off, my fault, caught my left had pedal on the tarmac going round a hairpin. This threw me in the air, and I landed heavily on my right, breaking my helmet, scraping elbow and bruised and scraped hip. (I still have no idea how the ones that were following me missed me :shock: , v. good riders :!: )
Anyway, the hard swelling on my hip did go down, but returned as a very 'squidgy' watery swelling. Not much pain. Have seen the gp, he took a sample of the liquid and said that all was ok. I have just come back from a gentle 1 hr ride (first since crash), and the swelling is worse, again not painfull, just uncomfortable, especially as it 'jiggles' with a high cadence.
Anyone got any tips how to get rid of it :?: :?: (appart from stiking a knife in to drain it :lol: )
Ta

Comments

• jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Probably leave it alone and it will go when ready,think fluid id normally there for a reason to protect something,best bet though is of course let the doc take another look.
    Taking of the fluid would probably not work as it normally comes back. I had a very nasty swelling in my groin :oops: following an opertation last year and it took a good 10-12 weeks to go down.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Try phoning NHS Direct for advice. I've used the service several times and find it very helpful. It's best to ask professionals about things like that rather than people on here who are mostly not medically qualified.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Second the above.

However, if you've seen the doc already and he thinks it's OK I wouldn't worry about it too much for the time being (that's just my completely non-professional ignorant opinion though!). These things can take a few weeks to sort themselves out. I had a big lump of a haemotoma on the top of my shin once which was there for about 3 weeks until it suddenly turned into the most amazing bruise all of the way down my leg... Personally I'd only start to worry (a little) if it begins to harden and doesn't show any signs of going down, as this could indicate that it is becoming calcified. You might then need ultrasound or some other treatment to get rid of it.
  • cymro68
    cymro68 Posts: 9
    Thanks for that folks.
    Have also seen this on the Training forum
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12561000
    (should have looked before posting :? !)
    I'll give it another week and see how it's going. Did another hour this morning, no pain or loss of performance (not that there is much perofmance to loose :wink: )
    If it's no better then another trip to the doc's I think.
    Ta
  • mackdaddy
    mackdaddy Posts: 310
    Cymro,

As the poster on the training topic, I have the same issue. I think it is 5 weeks now, maybe more, I've lost track. I think it is finally going down, doesn't seem as squishy!

I haven't bothered going to docs because it doesn't hurt and it hasn't affected my training. Hope it settles down for you.