Milan-San Remo *spoiler*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2008 in Pro race
Damn, now thats some racing

If anyone fancies buying me a bike, I'll take a De Rosa like Savoldelli's please
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    any sign of Hushovd?
    He's not being mentioned on cyclingnews ticker, but that does not mean he ain't hovering about.
  • iainf72
    awesome attack by cancellera
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    edited March 2008
    wow!!! superb, he really knows how to fck up the sprinters' plans
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Chinny is da man!
  • iainf72
    Bravo!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    I wonder how many Tirreno winners have gone on to win in San Remo - it must be well into double figures now?
  • Noodley
    Cancellara is the dogs bolls.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Where were Milram and Rabobank? Not really that much action on the Poggio, but still nowhere to be seen. Very odd. Credit to Cancellara though... what a rider.
  • 01. Fabian Cancellara (Zwi) in
    02. Filippo Pozzato (Ita) op
    03. Philippe Gilbert z.t.
    04. Davide Rebellin (Ita)
    05. Mirko Lorenzetto (Ita)
    06. Anthony Geslin (Fra)
    07. Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita)
    08. Oscar Freire (Spa)
    09. Thor Hushovd (Noo)
    10. Kurt-Asle Arvesen

Fantastic race and great ride by Gilbert. 8) Mighty impressive Geslin too.
  • iainf72
    I was amazed how Chinny looked like he was soft pedalling and then as soon as he put some effort in he just took off.

Brilliant. And he had a tactic and stuck to it which was good.

Good ride by my pick Gilbert too.

Has Cancellera peaked too early? Or will he carry this for a few more weeks til the northern classics?
  • Noodley
    iainf72 wrote:
    Has Cancellera peaked too early? Or will he carry this for a few more weeks til the northern classics?

The main reason I did not pick him in PTP was I thought he might take it "easy" up until the the Northern Classics...shows how much I know!! :lol:

Gilbert as well.... :oops:
  • vermooten
    I'm amazed that a Bouygues Telecom rider was in the top ten (Anthony Geslin in 6th). I thought they were supposed to stay at the back and not get in anyone's way.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Geslin won bronze in the worlds a couple of years ago I think.
  • vermooten
    Yup that's right. A pretty good highlight of an otherwise uneventful career.

Manchester Wheelers
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    iainf72 wrote:
    Damn, now thats some racing

If anyone fancies buying me a bike, I'll take a De Rosa like Savoldelli's please

One more here please. Absolutely beautiful.

I wouldn't mind being able to descend like Savoldelli too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Classy win by the Chin - in the style of Tchmil in '99.

All of those guys in the front group must have known his plan, and yet nobody was willing / able to follow his wheel when he went. Poor tactics by them, or just outstanding power riding by Cancellara?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    vermooten wrote:
    I'm amazed that a Bouygues Telecom rider was in the top ten (Anthony Geslin in 6th). I thought they were supposed to stay at the back and not get in anyone's way.

Anthony Geslin ( born 9 june 80) was 6th as you say, and

as KLEBER says he was 3rd in the 2005 World Road Race behind Boonen and Valverde and the only French medal winner.

The Norwegian struggle for 9th Hushovd and 10th Arvesen. behind Freire 8th.

Great Race and the big man (reminds me of Big Mig) did the same at Compiegne in the Tour De France.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    I was amazed how Chinny looked like he was soft pedalling and then as soon as he put some effort in he just took off.

Brilliant. And he had a tactic and stuck to it which was good.

Good ride by my pick Gilbert too.

If winning Milano San Remo is peaking too early, you have a funny idea of timing!
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    Timoid. wrote:
    If winning Milano San Remo is peaking too early, you have a funny idea of timing!

Peaked too early for the cobbled classics :oops:

Sheez
  • Bronzie wrote:
    Classy win by the Chin - in the style of Tchmil in '99.

All of those guys in the front group must have known his plan, and yet nobody was willing / able to follow his wheel when he went. Poor tactics by them, or just outstanding power riding by Cancellara?

Hi there.

No team had enough riders up front - if any single rider had chased then they would have just been setting up the sprint for whoever was sitting on their wheel. The brilliant part of Cancelara's plan was the push over the top of the Poggio which gapped the sprinter's leadout men. The group that Cancelara attacked from was pretty much reduced to a group of individual riders. Ballan was the only one who chased hard.

Cheers, Andy

ps Interesting to note that Gilbert was the only rider that Cancelara seemed worried about in that group. Flanders is looking like Gilbert v Cancelara v Ballan v Boonen - bring it on!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    The brilliant part of Cancelara's plan was the push over the top of the Poggio which gapped the sprinter's leadout men. The group that Cancelara attacked from was pretty much reduced to a group of individual riders. Ballan was the only one who chased hard.

Cheers, Andy

ps Interesting to note that Gilbert was the only rider that Cancelara seemed worried about in that group. Flanders is looking like Gilbert v Cancelara v Ballan v Boonen - bring it on!

Andy :- What you say is OK but don't forget the damage done by Bettini, Rebellin,Axelsson,Lovkvist and Savoldelli and the fantastic work they put in.
    The chase group therefore had to work extra hard along the coast to catch them and you are right it was CSC and Liquigas doing the Hard Pull.

The big swiss in 1st and Pozzato (liquigas) 2nd with the other men in form 3rd Gilbert & 4th Rebellin (3 very disappointed men)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    The brilliant part of Cancelara's plan was the push over the top of the Poggio which gapped the sprinter's leadout men. The group that Cancelara attacked from was pretty much reduced to a group of individual riders. Ballan was the only one who chased hard.

Cheers, Andy

Andy :- What you say is OK but don't forget the damage done by Bettini, Rebellin,Axelsson,Lovkvist and Savoldelli and the fantastic work they put in.
    The chase group therefore had to work extra hard along the coast to catch them and you are right it was CSC and Liquigas doing the Hard Pull.

The big swiss in 1st and Pozzato (liquigas) 2nd with the other men in form 3rd Gilbert & 4th Rebellin (3 very disappointed men)

Yeah!

You've got the double world road race champion, a two-time winner of the Giro and the guy who won Paris-Nice the previous week in a break and it still doesn't stay away! That was some chase by Liquigas/CSC.

Cheers, Andy