Newbie after advice.

Lamby15
Lamby15 Posts: 3
edited March 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all, I'm kind of new to the scene (it's prob been about 13 years since last on a bike, which coincides with me passing my driving test - hmm strange!!)

Only just came across this site, wish i had known sooner because I couldn't decide on which bike was the best choice, but have already bought my Specialized Hardrock Comp. Right choice?

Well, I'm more than happy with my bike and can't wait until my fitness increases in the coming weeks as I live near to Afan Argoed which, by all acounts, has extremely good tracks with the breathtaking scenary to offer - really can't wait to get off road. Has anyone been on these tracks and which would be the best one to start on, I think they have either 4 or 5 trails, baring in mind i'll be on my own and only just starting out.

Also, what is the best way to clean my chain as there are small grains of sand stuck on the chain from where I've cycled near the beach.

Many thanks.

Comments

• milkywhite
    milkywhite Posts: 534
    The bike is good, if a little lardy. If you're talking about a 2008 model then it looks like the fork is a lot better than previous years spec. It's not a bad beginners bike. Nice and tough.

I don't know anything specific about Afan. Just what I've read on here mainly. It seems like you're living near some of the best trails in the UK. I'm jealous (I live in the most flat featureless part of the world).

As for the chain cleaning, something like this will do the job OK http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=4671

Not specifically this one, but something like it. You'll find cheaper examples around.

I'd say take the chain off every now and then and give it a proper scrub with a brush to really get all the crap out.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Take the chain off, put it in an old lunchbox with chain cleaning fluid and shake!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Lamby15
    Lamby15 Posts: 3
    Yeah, it is the 2008 model so should do me good - hopefully - nice ride anyway, then when I'm back into it (alot fitter and hopefully a stone lighter), I'll prob updgrade to a better spec.

Heard the trails are of the best around and feel I should appreciate them more, so why not on bike! Don't realise how lucky I am yet. Be interesting to see how I get on with them!

But thanks for the advice from both of you, cheers.