Off road fixed/singlespeed

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited March 2008 in Road general
Does anyone know what MTB would make a good single speed/fixed conversion?

Thanks Gary

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Either over priced s/s specifics (quite a few about e.g. Kona) achieved either via drop outs (incl sliding for discs) or an eccentric b/b (Cannondale e.g.) OR a cheap older atb frame with trad forward facing rears. I have one of the latter in the workshop awaiting conversion!

All you need is such a frame with a screw on rear hub (most 5/6 based 15/18 spd mtbs) and a couple of hours....job done.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    Sounds good! I am tempted!
  • s.frisby
    s.frisby Posts: 48
    Hi there,

I've been using an old G.T. mountain bike on and off for quite a while now.

I was donated a wrecked bike with a good frame and converted it to a single speed. The frame did not have horizontal drop outs, so I used a chain tensioner that was made from the broken derailer that was still on the bike.

I took an old wheel from the scrap pile, redished it and added a single speed free wheel and converted a used MTB cainset to a single chainring unit.

Huge fun and the local 'lads that hang around at the shops and bus shelters' are really perplexed.
    As one door closes, another slams in your face.
  • meagain
    "The frame did not have horizontal drop outs, so I used a chain tensioner that was made from the broken derailer that was still on the bike. "

S/s'ers can of course use any frame with a tensioner. Not so for a fixed, however.
    d.j.
  • s.frisby
    Yes, I know that, I ride fixed wheel on the road. 8
  • meagain
    Sorry. Didn't mean to sound so brusque.
    d.j.
  • s.frisby
    Neither did I.
  • Try the following website:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
    You can go for FIXED or S/S (Single speed)

If you are not sure of your choice and do not want to spend lot of money, and you want to go for fixed. Use a 1/8 chain (3/32 are derailler-chains). For these wider chains you can get (difficult) "half" links. That way you can have a fairly tight chain with vertical dropouts.

Of course with a "bad" chain-line the bike will not run as smooth as by using a 3/32 chain.

Use the old brakes from the donor frame, so there will be no problem of the sprocket coming loose :( , because you do not have a lock-nut on your canabalized hub.

Enjoy and if you have fun, spend more money on the right equipment. One step at a time and easy does it. :D . Brompting
    A Brompton by any other name, should it not ride as smooth
  • tim158
    tim158 Posts: 4
    I'm awaiting delivery of bits to SS my Hardrock frame. Bikeradar told me to!
    You, sir, are a c*nt
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    GaryGkn
    really it depends on what you want from it.

do you want suspension?

do you want Big wheels? (29'er)

and then fixed or SS.

and then how much do you want to spend on the frame/bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown