100 miles a day for 60 days + ??

2»

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    i did 2 115 mile days on a battered bike after having only been riding for a week last summer and was fine. could i keep it up for 6 days let alone 60, doubtful. try it.

It's possibloe to do one off longdistance rides in ingnorance of what they involve. My first ever long distance ride was 110 miles from Darlington to Pickering and back on a single speed girls bike when in my mid teens. It's not something that I'd tackle now knowing waht is involved i.e. Sutton Bank nad the clinmb back to sStoon Bank from Helmsley...

Keeping up century rides day in day out is a different matter. I can happily sustain 100km perday for 2 - 3 weeks but upping the distance to 100 miles per day makes it a very different game.

The original poster is more than a little optimistic about his planned ride. As gavin Gilbert observed only a handful of Audax riders are up to the task and they have tens of thousands of mile in their legs.

It's great to be optimistic but a more realistic and marketable target might be to make it a LEJOG + JOGLE. I'm not sure that a 7 X LEJOG has that much of a charity appeal - it's beyond most people's comprehension. LEJOG + JOGLE is a neat package - folk can visualise what's involved and see it as a manageble challenge. There's also the boredom factor - folk will lose interest in the quest after the first fewlegs. Look how long distance challenge participants drop off the radar until they are close to completion.

I
  • ian_oli
    ian_oli Posts: 763
    I am doing an Audax "Randonnee Round The Year" and because April has no handy 200k Audax events on weekends I'm free and the Ruislip 300k is cancelled, I'm doing a 200k ride on Sunday from West London.

So, just1moreperson, you're welcome to join me and find out what cycling a reasonably long one day ride is like. The only condition is that you say the maximum you have ridden is 30 miles. If you have been able to do that in under two hours, all breaks included, I'm prepared to offer you advice and encouragement to get round, if not, you are simply not fit enough to try. If you are interested and serious then contact me directly - and asap please.
  • The map you are looking at to work out your details is flat, the journey is going to be anything but that. When i did Venice to London over the Alps last year I did it in 15 days, carried 27kg of equipment and spent about 6 of those days doing 100 miles a day, 4 of those days in conjuction with each other. I found that you could not plan on doing anything over 65 miles as thing like wind, climbs, lack of water etc does have a huge impact on your output and its silly saying I have to do x amount of miles today. You have to go with the flow, some days you can only do a certain amount, because of the other factors mentiond, the other days you can make up for the time lost. This is the way to approach this as it is also long term thinking. Eat pasta every night and drink dirolites, you need to replace your minerals, this is a must. Good luck, give it your best, at the worst it will be a learning curve, and it will give you your limit on which you can build.
  • After plenty of cycling around the UK , I no longer plan to do anything less than 30 mile a day, anything over is a bonus! In the UK that roughly covers about 2 main towns in that area which I'll probably go thru at some point during that day unless I'm feeling particularly inclined to keep away from civilisation and stay away from anything that vaguely looks like people might 'en masse' there.

On days where I've gone a bit reckless and pushed the milage up (this is on a fully laden down touring bike) by the next day I've really felt it!

I'm only 32 and relatively fit (relative to a sloth) - I guess I just like being in the low gears and having old grannies pass me in there 'all mod cons' electric wheelchairs.
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Without a lot of experience I'd aim for 250/300 miles in a week, so something like 3 days of 50 miles and one day off and see how you get on.

Doing LEJoG in under 2 weeks is pushing it in my opinion. but I'm sure by the time you were on your 3rd trip it could be done. So I'd allow 3-4 months to do the trip, so if you start by the end of this month, you can be back home by September.

As other have pointed out raher than back and forth, why not go somewhere like Istambul and back. It's about the same distance and a lot more varied route
  • Hi there buddy
    You know what you can do whatever you want in life, you are young and the mind can overcome anything. So heres the deal, think about it, we cant work 7 days a week, we will crack. We can study 7 days a week, youd be a nerd.. So u cant ride 7 days a week or u are going to have one sore rear and some other extra bits you boys have
    Call it progression... so start off doing 40km a day for one week, then 50km a day for 1 weeks..., then 60, then back to 40, then 50, 60, 70, back to 50, then 60, 70, 80.... etc
    you need condition yourself and also rest.. work in 4 weeks cycles... always building...
    Bingo...
    Eat well,m electrolytes, magnesium+calcium+potassim...for cramps
    Protein + carbs...
    Easy....
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Saw a slide show by 2 lads just 16 who went round the world on their bikes and the question of daily milage came up.They said the temptation to exceed a lowish daily mileage (more than 60)to go as far as you can in a day came up all the time..Basically if you exceed it catches up with you a few days later. and you suffer exhaustion....
    jc
  • OldSeagul
    OldSeagul Posts: 574
    How about cycling LeJog and doing it at about 60 miles per day with a day off in the middle, say day eight. When you get to John o'Groats, have a friend with a large camper van pick you up & return you to Lands End. That way you get a another good 24 hours rest before you start again.
    The people who turn their swords into ploughshares, generally end up working for the people who kept their swords!