Garmin Edge 705, when can I buy one??

Trekster
Trekster Posts: 29
edited April 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Has anyone got their hands on the new Garmin Edge 705? How useful are these types of devices in aiding training and fitness?

I also understand you need 3rd party software if you want to view your historical stats on your computer, what's recommended?

Comments

• jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    globalgizmos.co.uk, pre order at the mo', otherwise just type in the search engine and a shed load will come up :)
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • Klein.Fan
    Klein.Fan Posts: 13
    I have the Edge 305 (which is the previous version, so I presume the 705 will have even more ), but it comes with Garmin software for reviewing your stats and stores everything hisorically as well, so it's very easy to compare against previous training sessions.

You can get more detailed reviews of the your data from www.motionbased.com, that's free for the basic version, and then something like $90 a year for the full one, I think.
    I use the free version and it's briliant, gives great detail and allows you to show your spin route on Google Earth.

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg16 ... CF5195.jpg

"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of."
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    I'm waiting for them to be released also, and have one on backorder with BT.

I've heard mid April now for release.

Also in reference to software theres two matters:

1) Unit Mapping
    2) Stat Analysis and Mapping

The latter has already been covered by previous comments.

But re: Unit Map, I've read on the net somewhere that for the GPS memory mapping is rubbish, and be prepared to fork out another 60-90 quid for a memory map, as the one that comes with Garmin is useless.

The long grazed legged one
  • stuxmann
    stuxmann Posts: 31
    Dont buy this if you want it for MTB...its mapping is rubbish..you are much better off with the Satmap which is v similar in lots of ways but uses OS mapping. The 705 is good for road biking as it has all you need along with the other benefits that the 305 has , such as virtual partner but if you need it for offroad steer well clear of it