Fork setup questions...

Klein.Fan
Klein.Fan Posts: 13
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Everyone,

I’m ashamed to say that when it comes to Fork adjustment, I haven’t got much of a clue (I’ve run a set of Marzocchi MXs for the last year and never felt the need to adjust the pressure at all) so, I just wanted to get an idea of what I should be expecting when I adjust my new forks.

I’m 12.5 to 13 stone (ish), forks are 2007 Pace RC39’s
What’s a good psi point to start off with? I will be trying out softer and firmer settings, but I’d like to get a good idea of a “control” setting to compare with

How are firmer and softer settings going to affect performance and feel?

How will faster and slower rebound settings affect performance and feel?

I know they’re pretty basic questions, and that I really should know already, but this is the only part of the bike I’ve always been unsure of,

Cheers for any help you can give

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg16 ... CF5195.jpg

"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of."

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have to ask, did you get a manual with the forks?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i wonder if the forks have arrived yet!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Klein.Fan
    Sorry, yes I know - RTFM,

Yes, there was a single-page manual thing, but very basic really, and it didn't give any recommended psi settings. It did give a note about what to set the rebound at as a default, but doesn't really go in to how the rebound and firmness are going to affect the handling etc.

I'm more looking for pointers on how to make these adjustments in a smart way, so that I don't end up just twisting dials and pumping air until I stumble across the right setting. Just trying to understand how to get that perfect set-up for me - "teach a man to fish..." and all that

"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Perfect setting is different for all of us, there are no fixed hard rules, so do be prepared to experiment. Best way to start is to set sag, by adding or subtracting air - for general trail riding anywhere between 15-30% of total travel is the normal. The former gives a firmer ride, the latter a plusher more active ride that sits lower into the travel. Rebound should be set so the fork returns in time for the next bump, but doesnt pack down or pogo.
  • Klein.Fan
    Cheers Supersonic, I've got it at 30mm sag at the minute, I'll keep trying out a few different things