Giant road bikes - Sizing ?

Squaggles
Squaggles Posts: 875
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I'm slightly confused by the sizing of the Giant road bike range , taking a quick look on a certain large online retailers website it says the medium is suitable for riders between 5'7" -5'10" and the large between 6'0" - 6'3" . I'm about 5'11" .
Any Giant owners able to help me out and tell me how tall they are and which size they ride ?
Apologies if this question has been asked recently , I haven't been around for while .
The UCI are Clowns and Fools

Comments

• yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    I've got an SCR2 in the large - am 6'1 to 6'2 with long legs - not sure if I've got it set up completely right (first road bike) but seems the right size for me. Not sure if that helps or not!
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    I have an SCR 2.0 in XL, says on the tag for people who are 6'1" to 6'3", but I'm only 5'10" and it works perfectly.
  • i'm 6 foot dead on and have an older tcr 2 composite in large... short stem (9cm) and it feels just perfect for me.
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Just to confuse you I had a TCR2 Composite in the Medium size, and I'm 6 foot tall.
    It was a good fit for me but I used a 13.5 cm Stem.
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    I am 5"11 and have the 55cm which I think is the medium.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    Got a SCR2 L, still getting used to it but I'm 5'10" and a bit (I think!) and that seems OK to me. I tried a M and a L in the shop - I think M would still have been OK but my legs got pretty close to the bars if I stood up! I think you'd need to sit on one at your height - you sound the same as me - between the "official" sizing. Would be nice if Giant did a M/L SCR2, like they do with some of the more expensive bikes...
  • I am 6ft & have a Giant SCR C4 in XL with a slightly shorter stem. It fits perfectly. I previously had an SCR2 in L but always felt cramped on it (excellent bike though). Sizing is such a difficult thing. It takes a long time & a lot of trying bikes out to know what suits you best. I found a good LBS who were willing to listen & spend time with me to get it right. Good luck.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    ded wrote:
    I think you'd need to sit on one at your height
    I agree.

A mate is 5'10" and he thought the Large too big. Although you, being only 1" taller, may find differently. Find a dealer.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Best thing you can do is go sit on one and better still have a test ride on one.

I'm between 5'5 and 5'6 and although I could get adequate stand over on the Medium, the top tube made it a bit too stretched out and made the Small the size for me. It took me two tries on the bike to figure this out, by just looking at charts and numbers on websites I probably would have thought the Medium was fine and made a mistake if id ordered one.

Rob
  • I'm a little over 5'11 with a 31" inseam.

I have a Large OCR with a 90mm stem and a M/L TCR C2 with a 110mm stem. The OCR is great for touring around with my family/friends when I want a more upright postion. The TCR fits me like a glove and is what I race/train on.

My son is 5'2" with longish legs, so I just got him a used small OCR with a 65mm stem and a fair amount of rise, as he is making the transistion from mountain biking to the road.
    It\'s not how many miles you put in, but what you put into the miles that counts
  • I'm 5'10" and ride a medium SCR 3.0 with a 120mm stem. Fits me perfectly.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I'm 5'11 and ride a medium TCR with a 120 stem.

I think they key here is how flexible you are, I am not that flexible and cannot ride on the drops on mine, looking at the size chart on the Giant Website I should have got a M/L (although they didn't make that size when I bought mine), which would have stretched me out a little more and given me a little bit of a higher front end. The current drop from the top of the bars to the saddle is about 12cm, I think 8-9cm would have been better.

Best to try before you buy in my opinion.

Good luck!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Thanks for all the replies . I will obviously have to actually ride one to see what suits me . I'm still confused as to why there isn't a size for people between 5'10 and 6'0 !

From the website :

Extra Small 5'2"-5'4"
    Small 5'4"-5'7"
    Medium 5'7"-5'10"
    Large 6'0"-6'3"
    Extra Large 6'3"-6'6"
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Squaggles wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies . I will obviously have to actually ride one to see what suits me . I'm still confused as to why there isn't a size for people between 5'10 and 6'0 !

From the website :

Extra Small 5'2"-5'4"
    Small 5'4"-5'7"
    Medium 5'7"-5'10"
    Large 6'0"-6'3"
    Extra Large 6'3"-6'6"

Perhaps they assume everyone who's actually 5'11 is going to round themselves up to 6' :lol:
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I'm 5'10" and ride a medium but I think I'd also be happy enough with a large. At 5'11" I'd expect the large would suit you better but you'd need to try both to be sure.

When I bought my Tricross recently I'd expected the 54cm to fit me better but after trying them the 56cm felt right - so always best to try.
  • I have just bought an SCR C4 in XL with a 90cm stem.

I'm 5ft 11ins, it is a very comfortable fit.
    weight.png
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/tec ... troad_new/

Try this link, it says if you are 5ft10" - 6ft then you need a M/L
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    6'1" and ride an SCR1.0 XL

Sizing is fine with about 6" seatpost, I keep meaning to get a slightly shorter stem but the fact i never get round to it means it can't be that bad
    <a>road</a>