suncream for sport?

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
do you know a good suncream designed for use in sport? I want to stay wrinkle-free (ish) for a bit longer so want a high spf with a really good moisturiser that isn't going to make me cry my eyes out. I know it's not that sunny yet but I do feel the cold and wind are drying my face up.

Any recommendations?

Cheers :D

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Do as I do popette, just go for the highest factor you can find. I'm on a factor 50 cos i burn easily, no problems so far. Don't worry so much about the name on the tube.
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Nivea or Piz Buin, Highest Factor you can get .
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Being a ginge with not much hair, I feel I can speak with some authority here...

Ambre Solaire, SPF50 (kids stuff if it's really sunny). Job done.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Not tried it but wiggle stock some sporty stuff. Not sure how much difference sweatproof makes, as they are all waterproof anyway these days?
  • There is a relatively new type of sunscreen which is excellent for sport - non-greasy, sweat proof and one application per day! you put it on about 40 mins before going out then, hey presto, it just works. Truly amazing stuff.

I got this for some long events - 12hr or so, but I'd recommend it for general use. It is quite expensive, but it goes a long way (and you don't reapply, so need less) - it is thin and water like rather than creamy.

Often favoured by women because you can wear make up over it. my wife really likes it (though doesn't use it for sport that much) because she burns easily and this takes the worry away.

I have tried a few types and currently use Ultrasun (they do higher factors) it doesn't go as far as the last lot I used which was a mousse and I hardly seemed to need any for good coverage.

I can't recommend this type of all-day sunscreen enough!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Piz Buin have a "mountain specific" tube in their range. I use it for skiing and climbing and find it excellent. Doesn't seem to sweat off. It comes in a range of spf (mine is 30) and the tube is thin and flattened so unintrusive if carried in a jersey pocket.
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    Do as I do popette, just go for the highest factor you can find. I'm on a factor 50 cos i burn easily, no problems so far. Don't worry so much about the name on the tube.

This is good advice; I'm a bit of a ginge (though I prefer to call it auburn), and I use Boots own brand factor 50 which is great stuff (and quite often on 2-for-1 offer). What's not so great is that I've still got some left after a year and a half thanks to Blighty's bloody weather :(
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    P20

its expensive, but awesome. Put it on 20 mins before going out in the sun. It absorbs into your skin and keeps you safe all day. Its even properly waterproof!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Second P20. One application lasted me all day in the Pyrenees and I burn easy. Non greasy and not affected by sweat. Ideal for cyclists.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    popette wrote:
    do you know a good suncream designed for use in sport? I want to stay wrinkle-free (ish) for a bit longer so want a high spf with a really good moisturiser that isn't going to make me cry my eyes out. I know it's not that sunny yet but I do feel the cold and wind are drying my face up.

Any recommendations?

Cheers :D
    I use sun block to protect all my tattoos when riding :D
    You could always wear a burkha I suppose as you would be totally coverred :) though might be difficult to see where your going and may get your cleats in a pickle :D
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    wonder if you can get lycra ones? :lol:
  • John.T wrote:
    Second P20. One application lasted me all day in the Pyrenees and I burn easy. Non greasy and not affected by sweat. Ideal for cyclists.

I didn't think that the P20 gave as good protection against UVA - might be wrong here, but check before you buy. Otherwise, this is very similar to stuff I have tried before.

I founds the mousse that I like best Bergaderm.

Also tried the Piz Buin once a day stuff - fine, although it doesn't go very far, so works out the most expensive of the lot.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Sun, what sun...... ?? :shock:
  • Anne S.
    Anne S. Posts: 24
    As far as I am aware Boots Soltan is the only suncream with a five star UVA rating (check on the back of the bottle!). They make one specifically for the use on the face in a range of factors up to 50+. I don't think it's sweat-proof though.
    Anne S.
  • Used P20 many times. Never had a problem.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    nasahapley wrote:
    I'm a bit of a ginge (though I prefer to call it auburn)
    Splitter. :(