swapping fork from frame to frame

Crock - SmP
Crock - SmP Posts: 502
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
i'm currently in the middle of swapping my forks i've managed to get one set of forks out but the second set wont seem to come out

thanks for any help you cna give
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

That\'s what the wrist is for - gloves.

You know you\'re a biker when... ...your arms are brown, and your hands are totally white...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    once you have removed the stem, a tap on top of the steerer with a mallet should do the trick (unless its a threaded steerer)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont forget to swap the crown races over from fork to fork. so that the correct one is with the correct headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Crock - SmP
    no its a non threaded steer i have 'tapped' it but no budging. when you say tap how hard would u class a tap as
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

You know you\'re a biker when... ...your arms are brown, and your hands are totally white...
  • Crock - SmP
    how do i go abotu swaping crown races?

• nicklouse
    read the how to in the FAQ section or read park tools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Crock - SmP
    done it now it need a wack more than a tap was a bit stuck.

• Anonymous
    good job.

removing the crown race requires a little more finnesse and i always do it with a flat bladed screwdriver and a hammer.

there should be a slot on the fork to enable you to hit the screwdriver into then once the race has moved a little, tap from opposite sides of the race until it comes loose.
  • nicklouse
    good job.

removing the crown race requires a little more finnesse and i always do it with a flat bladed screwdriver and a hammer.

there should be a slot on the fork to enable you to hit the screwdriver into then once the race has moved a little, tap from opposite sides of the race until it comes loose.

the "slot" is not as common as you would have thought.
  • Anonymous
    ah well in that case i would be stuck (and so would the race)
  • nicklouse
    no you would not be. you just need a sharper object to get things moving. until the screwdriver is usable.

think wedges.thin to fat.
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Kitchen Knife, gently tap in untill it works itself away then move onto something slightly bigger.