Why do ramblers make such a fuss?

I RIDE
I RIDE Posts: 5
edited May 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Cmon guys, we all ride right? Personally I hate ramblers from my experiences with them, but I have no problem with ordinary walkers, they dont scream when you ride past them at 1mph. But Ramblers, well they just cant tolerate us guys just because were on two wheels. i mean I quess its impossible to hate all ramblers, because some of them are very nice, but its just those odd ones, who think they have the right to tell you off even though your'e riding on a bridleway which is perfectly legal. Generally they tend to pick on me beacuse, after all im only 14 and therefore perfect to tell off. Ha they can come and have a go thats what i say. So tell me guys, do you hate those ramblers who huff and puff when you ride past?

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Don't worry im 20 and get it all the time, usually telling them to shut up as I cycle away leaves me satisfied enough!
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    Don't worry, they give everyone grief. Must be hard form farmers to have to stop themselves letting rip with their trusty shotgun.
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No, they don't bother me a bit. Hating people because they don't see things the way I do, or participate in the same activities I do is way to prejudicial. They have just as much right and guaranteed freedom to use the same facilities as I and to enjoy the public property as all of us.

Besides, finding fault everywhere I ride turns me into the type of person I tend to avoid.

My way is not the only way, just one way in millions of ways. If I don't like the environment around me, I go somewhere else.

I hope this helps you with your dilemma.
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    I do find it funny when "Ramblers" go for a short stroll all kitted up with the boots. walking poles, etc.
    Even on a big hike, we usually wear jeans and casual(ish) clothes.

I've not had any hassle from any though - I do go out of my way to be polite though.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • Anonymous
    Schmako wrote:
    Don't worry im 20 and get it all the time, usually telling them to shut up as I cycle away leaves me satisfied enough!

I'm sure that presents a good image to the "ramblers" as what to expect from ALL bikers. Thanks for your help in trying to lesson the crumby image some have of us. What an ace you are. Thanks again. :?
  • schmako
    I knew you were gonna say something like that :roll: . Obviously if they are courteus then i'll be perfectly reasonable back. Its just the tossers who even when you say to them that you are behind/infront with plenty of time for them to move out the way, still ignore you or moan about you not being allowed wherever on your bike.
  • Anonymous
    Schmako wrote:
    I knew you were gonna say something like that :roll: . Obviously if they are courteus then i'll be perfectly reasonable back. Its just the tossers who even when you say to them that you are behind/infront with plenty of time for them to move out the way, still ignore you or moan about you not being allowed wherever on your bike.

Yeah, I hear and see it as well, but if you look for something to piss you off, you WILL find it. For me, I don't even give it a second thought. I give my warning and move on. I will never make a rude comment or try to prove I'm right. That has to be around 1,234 on my priority list of things to make sure I do in a day.

If you don't like dealing with the "ramblers," find a different trail or path to spend your time on. very simple. I've been on the trails for over 40 years. You are just starting out.

Have a great day. :D
  • bikers46 wrote:
    If you don't like dealing with the "ramblers," find a different trail or path to spend your time on. very simple.

But that's exactly what they want you to do.

Once again it comes down to a minority on both sides giving the rest a bad name.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • schmako
    bikers46 wrote:
    Schmako wrote:

Yeah, I hear and see it as well, but if you look for something to wee-wee you off, you WILL find it. For me, I don't even give it a second thought. I give my warning and move on. I will never make a rude comment or try to prove I'm right. That has to be around 1,234 on my priority list of things to make sure I do in a day.

If you don't like dealing with the "ramblers," find a different trail or path to spend your time on. very simple. I've been on the trails for over 40 years. You are just starting out.

Have a great day. :D

Ramblers don't annoy me, they make me laugh. Its not a priority to me either, just an added bonus that i've really annoyed these people. There is also no chance ramblers are going to stop me going on my usual routes either, i've just as much right as anyone else. [/moan]
  • Anonymous
    bikers46 wrote:
    If you don't like dealing with the "ramblers," find a different trail or path to spend your time on. very simple.

But that's exactly what they want you to do.

Once again it comes down to a minority on both sides giving the rest a bad name.

I'm fine if they want me to go somewhere else. There are a lot more places to ride where no one walks than there are where they do walk.

I'm way fine with it. I don't prove anything to anyone on the trail or path. I hail, proceed and keep pedaling. Going around someone is part of riding a bike. No hardship.

Bottom line? Ride or don't, whining about it just ticks everyone concerned off.

BTW, I don't think less of peds for any reason, because I am one. EVERYONE makes mistakes and also gets distracted at times. No biggy.
  • Anonymous
    Schmako, it seems to me that you consider your self right in all matters, and when you see someone else as not agreeing with you, they need to be punished. Bummer.
  • schmako
    Nah, me and you just have a conflict in ideas. WIth a bit of you not knowing anything about where I ride added in for good measure.
  • Anonymous
    Schmako wrote:
    Nah, me and you just have a conflict in ideas. WIth a bit of you not knowing anything about where I ride added in for good measure.

Yeah, I guess you're right. If I need any riding tips, I'll be sure to IM you.

Originally, someone asked a question, I gave an answer. You're having a bad day and want to share. Thank you so much.
  • schmako
    Haha, its actually been a good day thanks! You'll also find that you quoted me first.. Anyway i'm bored of this, slates!
  • Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    Just leave them is the best thing,but the worst case for me is when one grabbed me backpack and told me to get off. God I gave him a mouthfull of well every point why we want to ride and a few other colourfull things. (only 16 and found nothing wrong about it (more or less he deserved it!)).
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • abbots_mike
    abbots_mike Posts: 280
    some are ok, some need to be shot. i have been on a hike myself, including 70 litre rucksack and had them complain loudly about us when we delayed them oh-so-slightly at a stile (as you can imagine the rucksack complicates these things somewhat).
    i am of the opinion if yuo leave me be i will leave you be and be polite, but if you hassle me you can expect it back in kind.
  • Quirky
    Quirky Posts: 123
    Luke-Dob - If I was riding on a trail/bridleway and had a right to be there and someone tried that with me, I would of done what he said and got off my bike before promptly breaking his fuckin jaw! I don't know how you kept your cool mate!
    weight.png
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    The last lot of ramblers I encountered were just starting out and were all across the road, they knew damn well I was there but nope, they wouldn't move. So I jumped up on the grass verge, went down a few gears and done a nice big sliding wheelspin all the way along, flinging a rather large amount of mud all over them. They didn't seem best pleased about that but not a chance in hell I was going to stay and argue it out :lol:

Not seen any since, well, apart from the one who got in my way a few weeks back, very nearly took him with me, but then again, tis abit stupid to get in a bikers way, especially one who has crap brakes! :P
  • Anonymous
    Round were I am its not ramblers that are bad, its chavs that seem to like to throw abuse at cyclists :?.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Ive found that if your coutious with walkers/ramblers they are usualy ok with you, however there are some right (I'm trying not to swear!) whingers out there.

I was coming down Snowdon yesterday and there were loads of walkers, and I can honestly say all of them were brilliant, stepped to one side and let me pass. If they didnt hear me I just hung back at walking pace until they realised I was there.

Sometimes you have to rise above some of their anti bike comments, as much as I'd like to get off my bike sometimes and hack their legs off with my crank so they never walk again, but cranks are so expensive to replace arnet they? Nah you just got to bite your tongue and keep your gob shut, you will have forgotten about them by the time you get to the next bit of flowing singletrack or downhill.

Anyway who makes the most damage on the countryside? the 10 pairs of walkingboots and walking poles or a couple of 2" mtb tyres. Have a look next time your out where there are a lot of walkers! :wink:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bikes shouldn't be on paths, and if you are you deserve crap off the ramblers.

Ramblers on bridleways and roads are right PITAs though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Not to mention in the middle of DH runs...
  • fumps
    fumps Posts: 227
    I have a few differant opinions regarding walkers.

I usually find them to be friendly, helpful & mostly chatty tbh.
    But then again i do use the trails i am on with respect & am always pleasant to other trail users.
    I have seen riders absolutley belting down trails where they should'nt & i think thats out of order tbh. THere is little kids & some of the walkers are not exactley spring chickens. i think common sence should be the order of the day on this.

But on the other hand i have seen walkers being basically pig ignorant as well. some just think that they have a god given right to trails and anything that goes above 3 mph has no place out on the trails.
    I just think thats utter crap.

When all is said & done there will always be idiots on both sides.
    If people use their heads then we can all have fun. but then again there always will be idiots.

My god i sounded almost serious then :?:
    Arrrghhh it's worse than i thought!!!!!
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    i never fly straight passed them, just slow down and make some noisey gear changes and they normally move if not when i do get by i just give them a look of disgust but keep my gob shut at the end of the day we are all out there to relax and forget about a hard days work or week we have done. and dont need verbal abuse direct in your face from either party.
    As for who does the most damage not walkers or bikes horses have destroyed some off my local trails with the wet weather and that but they do have right to be there as well so roll on summer when it will dry out and smooth some of the big holes out they have made 8)
  • I had to post this.

On Monday I was out in my local woods and I was cycling slowly up a fire road. I was passing a pair of ramblers coming from the opposite way (husband and wife probably, mid 50's, wooly hat, expensive boots and jackets, walking sticks), when the bloke lashed out with his stick and yelled a stream of expletives! He missed with his swing and I was too shocked by his actions to react but after the fact I couldn't beleive what had happened. Had I upset this guy in the past? Did he mistake me for someone else?

I always make it a point in being curteous to walkers and other cycles - we all have a right to be there - but as has been said by a few previously in the topic, there will always be a minority on both 'sides' who cause friction and keep tensions between the 2 factions slightly raised.

Why can't we all get along?
    My Build is almost complete - I just need some wheels and pedals!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I must admit to always trying to being courteous. I always try and get a polite morning in first, for the 98% of ramblers who are pleasent human beings this sets the tone nicely and a few pleasent words are usually exchanged. For the 2% minority it immediately puts them on the back foot and challenges their prejudices about the nasty biker. If there is any verbal abuse I tend to ride on as I'm not good with conforntation. Depends on how I'm feeling, I don't think there's anything wrong in politely but firmly pointing out bikers rights if the rambler is unclear on them.

I'm a bit shocked to hear about the assaults though (and that's what they are if someone has laid hands on you or tried to hit you with a stick). If I was on a legal right of way and obviously not intimidating anyone with my riding style I think I'd most probably react very badly. In theory you should probably make a citizens arrest but in practice this is quite difficult and if it ever got to court it would be I said / he said. I think in reality it would be a case of a thump back / confiscate the walking pole, not the right response but hey you're not usually thinking clearly after being attacked.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Because I tend to ride at Trail Centres with marked MTB routes I dont often encounter walkers but I'm shocked to hear things like that happen !!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd take the pole and snap it, they only try it on because they know most people wont react, if you do then they'll stop, it only takes one person to scare them and everyone else to be courteous to change their ways.
  • bozley
    bozley Posts: 10
    Only advice i can give is...
    Be as polite and respectful as possible and if that doesn't work.......

Stick a 2" tyre track down the middle of their face
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    Always slow down when approaching other trail users (ie. ramblers, casual walkers & horsie types). If approaching from behind give two rings on your bell (ok, bells aren't 'cool' but they are useful for dispersing ramblers). Always smile and always offer a 'good morning/afternoon'.

Using this tactic I have never had a problem. However, if you fly past at full tilt, out of your seat honking away and without any warning then of course people are going to get upset. People go to the countryside for the tranquility and slower pace of life.