Help! Need Ideas !

jacktheoc
jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
edited March 2008 in The Crudcatcher
i have to think of some ideas for my systems and control c/w at school.... it is going to be some thing along the lines of a circuit roughly 7x4cm and that will be in a wooden box of some sort so its out the way.. then it will have 10 small leds on it... as for ideas i was thinking of putting the box with the circuit in somewhere on the frame and have leds on the back of the box so it can be switched on at night so cars etc can see but it sounds abit boring and too much hassle making as i will have to make brackets out of metal and demonstrate on my frame :? anyone got any ideas?

thanks for replies 8)

Comments

• Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    Not quite sure what you're asking. Does it have to be in the form of a 7cm x 4cm circuit board in a wooden box with ten LEDs on it? If so, you're not giving us much scope! :lol:

If it's just got to be in the area of "systems and control" and you want something bike related to build, it'd be helpful to have some idea what level you're at and what you're capable of. If making brackets is too much hassle I assume you're looking for something that's going to take more or less zero effort...
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • jacktheoc
    well the circuit is about 4cm x 7cm so any size box/shape and it has to be 9 or 10 leds.... its not that i dont want to make brackets its just that their going to have to be metal with out any covers over so it wont be very good on a frame if your going downhill and its moving as it will just scratch the frame and it is hard to get the right type of metal from my school. i have 3 lessons to make this 1 on the circuit and 2 designing building so i am not looking for anything too hard to build as it just wont get finished :(
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I still don't quite understand what you are asking. You want ideas for a product with a 7 x 4 circuit board with 10 LEDs?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • hastings
    hastings Posts: 206
    i did a humane rat trap for mine. You could use the LEDs are outputs for when a rat gets caught
  • jacktheoc
    BlackSpur wrote:
    I still don't quite understand what you are asking. You want ideas for a product with a 7 x 4 circuit board with 10 LEDs?

in a way yes.... at the mo i have a circuit with 10leds :? but do not have any ideas as to what to do with it, i was planning on boxing it in for protection and to hide all the wires, then think what to do with the leds.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    does it have to be something bike related?

i did something with a map and a row of buttons when i was at school, (a long time ago)

i used a map of europeon a board with leds in it, then had buttons with the names of countries in a row. it was like a game to see if you knew the name of a given country. yu had to guess first then press the button and see if it lit up the correct country, boring yes but it was an excercise in wiring and so forth.

maybe you could have the locations of the worlds best dh courses or summat like that. should be easy to make.
  • jacktheoc
    does it have to be something bike related?

i did something with a map and a row of buttons when i was at school, (a long time ago)

i used a map of europeon a board with leds in it, then had buttons with the names of countries in a row. it was like a game to see if you knew the name of a given country. yu had to guess first then press the button and see if it lit up the correct country, boring yes but it was an excercise in wiring and so forth.

maybe you could have the locations of the worlds best dh courses or summat like that. should be easy to make.

i said it was going to be bike related but i could change easily enough :) thanks for that ill have to check it out tomorrow in systems.. i was thinking of possibly a pool table aswell if i wasnt doing it on biking and do the LEDS in each pocket and in a few other places...... thanks for the ideas so far :D
  • Anonymous
    maybe you could do turn signals for your bike. fit the box to the back of the bike and have the leds in an arrangement so they act as indicators. would be simple enough to make a handle bar mounted switch perhaps
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    Aye as sheepsteeth said, make sure indicators. 5 LEDS for each. if you use tri-cokour LEDs you can set them to amber when you hit indicate and then red when you're braking.
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • jacktheoc
    maybe you could do turn signals for your bike. fit the box to the back of the bike and have the leds in an arrangement so they act as indicators. would be simple enough to make a handle bar mounted switch perhaps

thanks like the sound of that :D can easily make a switch to go on the handlebars, ill have to put some ideas down and see what i can do :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    was thinking, maybe you could split the lights in two and make 2 units, one for each of your seat stays close to your axle. you could have the 5 lights stretching up the stay, they would look nice and slim that way. plus it would show some design/technical abiltiy if you could get the angles right for the unit so the lights point exactly backwards but the units follow the contours of your rear stays perfectly.

maybe make the bottom 1 light stay lit on both sides all the time so that someone following you in the dark would be able to make reference between one side of your frame and the other. make the remaining lights blink when making a turn. without the point of reference on such a narrow vehicle it would be difficult to tell that the lights are indicating a turn intention and not just flashing for any old reason.
  • jacktheoc
    how would i be able to get the lights to stay up? wouldnt it include drilling the object and pushing them through? i was think possiblt a bracket on the seat post with 5 light holes either side with them pushed through :?
  • Anonymous
    the devices could be made of wood (well sanded and then painted)with holes drilled small enough to make an interference fit for the leds and they could be cable tied onto the frame. sounds abit of a cop out but think about it, lots of things on your bike are cable tied on: brake and gear cables, computers, gps units.

if you want to mount on to your seat tube though, you could maybe try and get hold of an old reflector and adapt it to use as a bracket for your device.
  • jacktheoc
    the devices could be made of wood (well sanded and then painted)with holes drilled small enough to make an interference fit for the leds and they could be cable tied onto the frame. sounds abit of a cop out but think about it, lots of things on your bike are cable tied on: brake and gear cables, computers, gps units.

if you want to mount on to your seat tube though, you could maybe try and get hold of an old reflector and adapt it to use as a bracket for your device.

thanks think i might give that ago :D ill write/draw down a few plans next lesson and then hopefully start making it :D