£700 to spend

ilovesherbet
ilovesherbet Posts: 40
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I'm looking for a good value bike with the above limit in mind. I want a bike that I can use for longer rides and slowly upgrade to be a decent bike to (maybe) race on. Thats it in a nutshell any advice. Not to keen on my nearest lbs so don't mind internet options.

Comments

• In was looking at a Willier Evasion, Boardman Comp, last years Colnago Ramarro or a Giant SCR1.5
  • Specialized allez range would be my recomendation. Certainly a popular bike in my club but I'm sure others will have their recomendations to.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33692
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Specialized allez range would be my recomendation. Certainly a popular bike in my club but I'm sure others will have their recomendations to.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33692

I know this is going to sound funny but I just don't like Specialized bikes, abit irrational I know but there you go.
    I just looked at Evans and would like to add the Scott Speedstar z40 to the list of bikes I like.
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    I know this is going to sound funny but I just don't like Specialized bikes, abit irrational I know but there you go.
    Oddly enough, I'm the same. I've never so much as sat on one, but I have an irrational aversion to the brand. :?

I have a Surosa Audax, which can be had with Veloce or 105 for around your budget. Worth a look if you're anywhere near Oldham, I'm more than happy with mine. :mrgreen:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    You lot are doing my head in, today (see 3rd bike thread)

I've got £700 to spend.
    - Well get out there and spend it, then.

:lol::D:lol:
  • Daniel23
    Daniel23 Posts: 75
    wow i am the exact opposite i think i will only ever buy specialized bikws... i think they are fantastic... love my allez.

Dan.
    The New Guy
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    have a look at the ribble alu 7005 frame with 105 I think its around 700 and seems good value - shame about specialized as the frames are excellent
  • PostieJohn wrote:
    You lot are doing my head in, today (see 3rd bike thread)

I've got £700 to spend.
    - Well get out there and spend it, then.

:lol::D:lol:

Just did. Bought a Bianchi C2C with Mirage. Went to Evans in Glasgow, very helpful.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Well done, I'm very proud of you!!!!!!.

Good choice, too.
  • RedAende
    RedAende Posts: 158
    Good choice. I bought a C2C Xenon from Solid Rock cycles, Balmore, Torrance.

They also stock a range of Bianchi accessories - pumps, jerseys etc if you want a celeste coloured pump. :lol:

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    Focus?