Sore Knee's while cycling

rossbarney2003
rossbarney2003 Posts: 167
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I have been cycling for a wee while now, but I have noticed that my knee's are sore when cycling, even when i'm on my turbo trainer. I don't know what the cause is though.....

I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with my bike size or something.....

When I got the bike, I wasn't too happy with the service. The man didn't measure me at all. He just based the decision on bike size based on our height being similar. In fact, I don't even know the size of my bike lol.

Would that have anything to do with it?

P.S. The service at the bike shop did actually get better the more I visited....too bad they closed down :(

Comments

• AntLockyer
    AntLockyer Posts: 561
    It is highly likely your saddle is at the wrong height. Where is the pain in your knee?
  • sirlylos
    sirlylos Posts: 234
    Hi mate,

I would agree that it could be the seat position. Still if your bike frame is far too small then the problem will remain regardless of how high you put the seat.

If it was me I would ride or transport the bike to your local bike shop and get them to take a look at it for you and determine whether the frame size and seating position is correct. LBS are usually very friendly so I'd imagine they'll take a look and give you some advice for free.

Let us know how you get on.
    1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
    1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
    1997 - Specialized Hardrock
    2003 - Specialized FSR XC
    2008 - Specialized Epic FSR Comp
    2009 - Giant Defy 3
    2010 - Voodoo Wanga
    2012 - Cannondale Supersix 105
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    would check your cleats if you ride clipped in, until i adjusted my cleats recently (pushed then away from the front of the foot more to put less stress on the knee i was told), after 50 odd miles by knees would hurt...

Once i did that, did 80, and my knees didn't hurt at all :) was a miricle cure for me as i was worried about doing long rides incsae my knees hurt that much i couldnt get home, when i didn't expect it to make any difference, so would get that checked!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Also are you a spinner or a grinder? Using big gears at low cadences can cause all sorts of knee trouble. Optimal cadence for many cyclists is 80+rpm
  • Bronzie wrote:
    Also are you a spinner or a grinder?

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean lol.

Oh and yes I do use clipless pedals...I was gonna mention them, as I did recently notice that the squeek coming from my bike was actually my left shoe rubbing against my bike the bike so i'm thinking the cleat is kinda off....

I am gonna be passing my new local bike shop tomoro on the way to uni, so I might pop in and ask if and when I could pop in by with my bike so they could have a wee look.

Thanks for your hlep :D
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Right,

Loads of stuff here........

A base for saddle height to start off with- sit on bike - find somewhere like a wall you can lean on, as a rough guide, in bare feet your heal should only just touch the pedal axel with a straight leg - that's just a start...

Ball of foot should be directly over axel - mark on shoe where your ball is, clip in, take off shoe with shoe still clipped in - check with shoe in flat position where the mark sits - note position and re adjust after you have removed shoe.

As for cleat angle.... not easy these days - if you have access to a turbo trainer this might make life a little easier - you need to know if you are heal in or out....cleats have float, so I'd adjust a little at a time.

It's a very complicated area and takes a long time to study what is best - it's a science, not just get on bike and go....try sheldonbrown !
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Bronzie wrote:
    Also are you a spinner or a grinder? Using big gears at low cadences can cause all sorts of knee trouble. Optimal cadence for many cyclists is 80+rpm
    No it doesn't.

That is a myth that has grown up since triples became popular. When I were a lad, 42*19 was the most common bottom gear, 42*21 if you lived somewhere with a few hills and a 23 sprocket was laughingly referred to as a dinner plate.

All us old gits who spent years pushing gears like that are still here, still riding, and walking without crutches.