Track pump

nolance
nolance Posts: 79
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I've noticed that my bikes tyres are a little soft after my winter break.As yet I don't have a pump to inflate them(other than an old bike pump ).I was wondering if anyone has any tips on the best track pump.Your help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    No use immedeatly but lidls are very likely within the next month or two to bring back their £2.99 track pump, people may scoff at the thought of a £2.99 pump but the one I have does the job brilliantly, its been going for around 10 months now and takes my tyres up to 125psi no problem at all. Its actually better than the one I brought from my LBS for around £30 a week before lidls brought their one out :x. I keep the LBS one at home and the lidls one at work, the lidls one is my favourite of the two and gets used for regular top ups...
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I bought a Topeak Joe Blow Sport maybe a year ago. Not all that much use. Totally useless as of last week (I assume valving/seals at bottom of barrel failed). For the price - rubbish IMO/E.

Certainly won't buy another.

If a 3 quid one lasts a month, then better value.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    meagain wrote:
    I bought a Topeak Joe Blow Sport maybe a year ago. Not all that much use. Totally useless as of last week (I assume valving/seals at bottom of barrel failed). For the price - rubbish IMO/E.

Certainly won't buy another.

If a 3 quid one lasts a month, then better value.

Might be worth disassembling it and checking the position of the rubber seals, the pump I brought from my LBS blew its rubber seal the other day, fortunately just taking it apart puting the seal back where it belonged and reassembling it fixed it. Of course thats a hassle I didnt have with the lidls pump...
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I've got a Joe Blow and it's ok but the Specialized one I used in the bike shop the other day was something else. Loads, loads better. So effortless to use and it felt like it could withstand a nuclear explosion.
  • Jamey
    This is the one I mean:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=11089

Also, I've just noticed there are several different models of Joe Blow pump. I've got the cheapest (the Max II) so that might account for it just being 'ok' instead of amazing.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Recently bought the Joe Blow Max 2 (same as Jay above) - found it to be reliable and consistently gets to a comfortable 120, although you'll need full body weight from 100 - 120 - not keen on the valve mechanism - seems a bit dodgy, although it's still working - all in all, been worth the money, although the valve connector seems a bit hit and miss in terms of getting it back off (tyre can go down a little whilst strugling to yank it off).
  • If you want to pump you'll be able to hand on to your grandkids, it's hard to go past the SKS Rennkompressor
    John Stevenson
  • Jamey
    Mettan wrote:
    ...the valve connector seems a bit hit and miss in terms of getting it back off (tyre can go down a little whilst strugling to yank it off).

Seconded.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "...Topeak Joe Blow Sport maybe a year ago. Not all that much use. Totally useless as of last week (I assume valving/seals at bottom of barrel failed)."

In fact it's the head: having blocked off one side, now sort of working! Seems can buy a replacement nozzle - but nearly half the cost of complete item. I remain of the view " For the price - rubbish "
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • joe blow again
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Go for "Silca" I've had one for 25 years and only replaced the valve seals twice.
    Thing works great. If you ride a lot, give up the extra dollars and buy quality. You won't
    regret it.

Dennis Noward
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Jamey wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    ...the valve connector seems a bit hit and miss in terms of getting it back off (tyre can go down a little whilst strugling to yank it off).

Seconded.

When i detach mine there is a big hiss as i flick the lever,but that is the air in the pump tube escaping which will be at the same pressure as air in the inner tube, not necessarily air from the tyre. You would actually have to depress the schrader valve for it to lose air.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    dennisn wrote:
    Go for "Silca" I've had one for 25 years and only replaced the valve seals twice.
    Thing works great. If you ride a lot, give up the extra dollars and buy quality. You won't
    regret it.

Dennis Noward

Me too - in all respects. In fact I think mine's even older. I've replaced the hose though because it perished and the gauge lost its cover a month ago (I broke it somehow) but it still works OK.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    I bought one from Lidl about three or four years ago. It must have been top of the range though as it cost me a whopping £4 if I remember correctly. I only bought it to fill in whilst I sourced a better one but have never bothered to pursue a replacement on the grounds that it does a perfectly good job of getting tyres up to 110 psi or thereabouts.It owes me nothing.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad