Carrying a carbon bike on roofbars

sicrow
sicrow Posts: 791
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Just bought a Spesh Roubaix from my LBS and the guy told me that it would be best to put the bike in the back of the car as I shouldn't clamp in the bike carrier as I do with my MTB.

Are there any bike carriers that don't clamp and could be used or do I make the Kids walk !!! :wink:

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i think it might be 'ideal' to put it in the back and saves the fuel consumption hit when then bike is on the roof - but at the same time - i would imagine it would be fine on the roof.

I also have a new roubaix - a self build S-Works model and if I can ever get my knee fixed (not the roubaix' fault) then it will be going on the roof when taken away places..
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Does your current bike carrier clamp on the downtube? I have heard that this can damage thin tubes.

There are also roof carriers (Thule do one) that clamp the forks (you have to put the front wheel in the boot though) or maybe fit a towhitch and get a rear carrier where the bike sits on it's wheels in a frame (they are more fuel efficient also).
  • I've got a Roubaix Comp as well and was warned about clamps. They can make oval metal go round as well if tightened up too much.

So get some San Remo brackets, fitted onto a pair of Thule roof bars.

Rear wheel gets strapped in bracket. Front fork ends get clamped into quick release. You can put the front wheel in the boot or get a front wheel holder. I've used it since the New Year and it comfortably barrels along at motroway speeds plus 10% (and a bit!) without any problems.

http://velokit.co.uk/cart_productdetails.asp?PRODUCTID=900

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/5203/groupID/1/categoryID/2/v/c64b4a2f-333e-4a82-860e-beedb892c59
  • _krusty
    _krusty Posts: 16
    Just as a heads-up as I recently went through this myself . . . the Thule 561 is a roof rack mounted option that fixes a bike using the rear wheel and front forks.

The only warning that came with it was in regards to carbon dropouts on front forks were a no-no but other than that there were no limitations.

HTH

K.
  • i clamped lucy on to a roof rack from the lakes to london and she was fine not a mark.
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Thanks for the tip. I've had my Roubaix for a year and it is only by chance that it hasn't been on the roof (never taken it with a full set of passengers and, anyway, it's so light, I can lift it into the boot of my estate easily).

One thing I have always done with my bikes (after scratching a frame once on a roofclamp) is to use a slice of thick mouse mat between frame and clamp. Not only does it protect the paintwork, it also probably cushions some of the harsher vibrations and forces on the frame.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    My Roubaix goes on the roof, wheels and all, clamped on the downtube. The only problem I can see is if you over-tighten the clamp - this has the potential to damage any frame material, not just carbon.