Have i lost interest in road biking? inspiration badly neede

2»

Comments

• star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    Felix, I seem to remember you are from Dumfries? Why don't you register for the southern upland sportive (in July)? It's right on your doorstep and it will give you something to train for.
  • star_rover wrote:
    Felix, I seem to remember you are from Dumfries? Why don't you register for the southern upland sportive (in July)? It's right on your doorstep and it will give you something to train for.

eh thats seems a bit too much climbing for me, considering its my weakest pount. dunno tho i'll have a look at it.
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • Steveorow
    Steveorow Posts: 162
    Apply for the Drumlanraig sportive at the start of May ; its on your doorstep if you are in Dumfries . Looks like it is still open to entries . You could do the shorter 40 miler as a way to get the "mojo" back .

http://www.drumlanrigchallenge.btik.com/
  • Mike Willcox
    Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
    johnnyc71 wrote:
    Felix - make a list of all the things you enjoy about riding your bike vs reasons why you don't want to. It can be easy to become disheartened, but the fact is, you'll never improve if you don't ride the bike.

Do you have a target number of miles to cycle this year?

I started cycling again Jan 07 - I was 21 stone and 6'4'' tall. I'm now 18st and still 6'4'' tall, and I love cycing.

:D That's a relief.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Read the threads on here and it will motivate you, even if feeling like you don't want to do it.... I commute everyday on a heavy old steel MTB, but love to get out on the road bikes at weekend - feel as though I'm dancing on the pedals.....

And it's very good for you..... I've shed 2 stone...even the kids comment about cycling and my loss of the belly..........all the healthy eating and exercise stuff at school has paid off..... :shock:
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    many clubs split their sunday rides into groups of similar ability - the slower one in my club being average around 16mph - which in a bunch is pretty much freewheel!

maybe for you :roll:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    Is it possible to commute to work on your bike? It's an ideal way to get fitter but you need to put yourself into a position were you have no choice but to use the bike. I need a permit to park at work and I haven't bought one in two years. Therefore I have no option but to cycle and yes it's hard work and in the winter people think you're mad for riding when it's -4 but if you hold on in there you'll ride yourself into the best shape of your life.

Don't be defeated.
    It's all good.
  • I like many others on this thread have returned to cycling after a heafty lay off, and motivation had been a big problem for me until three things happened firstly my wife said it was all a flash in the pan and I will give up after a couple of weeks getting cold and wet, I saw adverts for the London to Southend and Essex Countryside ride both approx 60miles and a week apart so I entered both of them and lastly being a 6foot 18 stone guy I have taken heart from all the others on here who have lost weight so am looking forward to hopefully reducing my slowly growing pre middle aged spread.
    It looks like there is a lot of support for you on here Felix so don't give up and give anything a go if it makes you change your mind and makes you enjoy your riding.
  • well guys.... i'm hitting the black stuff tonite, noo not guiness the other black stuff. lucy will be taken out for some fresh air as i've been challenged from guys i cycled London to Paris with last year to do London to Paris to Geneva a whacking 630 miles with its fair share of climbing, and i;m not the kinda guy that pussy's out of a challenge, especially from a shandy drinking southerner so tonight me and lucy will ride into the fresh scottish country air. think i may have my "MOJOOOOWWW" back. cheers guys :lol:

p.s i prob will enter the drumlanrig.
    felix's bike

• oh and my club doesnt split into ride speeds, maybe suggest it tho.
    felix's bike

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    It's this time of year.

I struggle to go out for more than 10-15 miles, whereas when the weather is nice, 30. No problem

The clocks change soon, then you'll feel better
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    "Give in to those demons whispering away in your ear or shake hands with your innermost strength" ... that's the choice we all face one way or another :D

When I first heard this comment it hit me like a physical force!

I looked back at LOTS of times im my life when I gave in or walked away from something and the shame of some of them still stings!

Ever since I heard this comment ... those demons don't get a second lookin from me anymore .. life is for living and it's flippin short!

It's great to be .....