Any thoughts on this route through France

raybo
raybo Posts: 87
edited March 2008 in Tour & expedition
I am planning a 4 week trip from Paris to Avignon via Normandy, the Dordogne and Lot River Valleys, and through the Cevennes National Park. I've mocked up the route at bikely.com. Here is a link to the planning I've done up to now.

The first half of the route (up to Bergerac) is based on places that I've found to stay via hospitalityclub.org or couchsurfing.com.

I would welcome any and all feedback on this route.

Thanks,

Ray

Comments

• RyanBrook
    RyanBrook Posts: 195
    I recommend lonely planets cycling France if you can get hold of a copy. They are out of print but absolutely priceless. Its unbelievable that LP stopped the series before it expanded. Ive done a couple of tours using them. Your route sounds good though.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    You have cleverly avoided crossing the Massif Central, which is casse-pieds (French for foot-breaking or sole-destroying). It lives up to its reputation as you spend all day going up sharp climbs and losing all the height on the other side before starting again.

By the time you get to the tough bit of your route (Cevennes will be hot and hilly), you'll have enough strength in your legs to actually enjoy it.

I would recommend you buy the Michelin road atlas of France (small page version) and rip out all the pages relevant to your route. They fit perfectly, folded in two, in an Ortleib bar bag map carrier and each half page gives you half a day of detailed route choices. We used to mark up the route in fluorescent marker pen the night before, which gives you the chance to explore the small roads without getting totally lost.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    I hope you are going to Millau to see the amazing motorway bridge and then go through the Gorge Du tarn to Florac. Both are worth the trip.

The road out of florac is a huge climb up to the corniche for the road to Arles.

have fun

george