Buckled Wheel, Dented Rim, Repairable?

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
A big pot hole jumped out on me the other day, and whilst I managed to bunny hop the front wheel and my face to safety the rear wheel took a big knock.

Its not got a buckle and a dent on the rim. The buckle isn't huge, you can adjust the brake blocks enough for them not to touch but its still quite obvious. The rim is dented on the braking surface and the dish on both sides (left and right) at one point.

The wheels are standard Giant IOU 333 on my SCR 1.0.

Is it going to be fixable or worth fixing?

What replacement wheel(s) are of at least the same standard and how much do they cost?

I'm not sure how good these wheels are but I'm happy to use this as an upgrade oppourtunity if worth while.

Comments

• billybiker
    billybiker Posts: 272
    I build my own wheels and from your description I would say they are not repairable. I've just made up a set of Mavic CXP 33 rims for a friend and they seem like good rims. About £30 each I think. You can use your old hub so just need spokes then at about 10p each.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Plus paying someone to build it.

This may sound stupid but whats the problem with a bent rim? If the wheel and be trued to straight.

Is the rim likely to break?
  • If the rim is actually dented at the brake track then it's going to snatch under braking. Not good, and almost impossible to repair fully.

Pics of the damage would help assess whether it can be repaired though.
    John Stevenson