How do you structure you training each week?

Comments

• toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    2 - 3 gym sessions during the week, each of which involve 30m of general fixed weights, a 1h pilates session and 1h on a trainer cycle doing power-based intervals. This is done throughout the year and over the winter is often preferable to a road ride.

Also one or two road rides per week (longest at weekend), building in speed and distance from 50 miles in mid-winter to 100+ in spring and summer.

By combining these two I'm aiming to increase both speed (power) and endurance by my target events in the summer.

a serious case of small cogs
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    toontra wrote:
    2 - 3 gym sessions during the week, each of which involve 30m of general fixed weights, a 1h pilates session and 1h on a trainer cycle doing power-based intervals. This is done throughout the year and over the winter is often preferable to a road ride.

Also one or two road rides per week (longest at weekend), building in speed and distance from 50 miles in mid-winter to 100+ in spring and summer.

By combining these two I'm aiming to increase both speed (power) and endurance by my target events in the summer.

Cool, how will you vary mileage towards summer?..And gearing cadence in the different sessions of the week? Where will the longer training runs fall in the week as compared to higher intensity work? Am curious as to whether amatuers are still mixing old school with hard science we have..
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Cool, how will you vary mileage towards summer?..And gearing cadence in the different sessions of the week? Where will the longer training runs fall in the week as compared to higher intensity work? Am curious as to whether amatuers are still mixing old school with hard science we have..

Summer mileage will depend on events entered, but usually 1 x 100+ and 1 x 50 per week. The occasional week will be taken off but nothing specific. With this amount of training I don't feel the need for recovery time.

Trainer cadence is usually 100-108 when doing power training L4 and L5 intervals, and rises to 115-120 when doing shorter burst intervals under 2 minute. No gearing involved with the gym trainer, just wattage output and cadence.

BTW, this training isn't for racing. I'm mainly interested in long-distance Audax-type events, with the occasional sportive. This year my target is a 7-day LEJoG, next year the Audax London-Edinburgh-London.

a serious case of small cogs