Tyres and tubes

allen
allen Posts: 214
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
After getting my first puncture on my road bike I now think I may get some better tyres/ tubes. I just want a reliable good tyre for general medium runs in most weathers. Any thoughts ? Also which make of tubes do most people run ? and is it worth looking at some of the ones that claim to repair themselves on the go

Thanks in advance

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Unfortunately, punctures are part of cycling. Everyone gets a puncture occasionally; it's partly because we demand (and, I suppose, need) light tyres and tubes for their other advantages. As I write, my wife is fixing a slow puncture she got yesterday when we rode an audax. btw she insists on doing it herself because she knows all cyclists must be able to carry out this simple repair effectively.

However, if you're getting a lot of punctures then there's a cause. Either there's something in the tyre (a small piece of glass/plastic or a thorn, say) or you're riding in the gutter amongst all the debris for instance.

You can only minimise the number of punctures - you can't rule them out all together.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Specialized Armadillo tyres are virtually bomb proof - the downside is that they are heavy, and are monsters to get on/ remove due to extremely tough sidewalls and beading. Spesh also offer Roubaix Armadillo which may offer the level of compromise you are after.

Having said that I nearly bought a pair of Pro Race 3 tyres yesterday - I suspect much too flimsy for in town riding so I compromised with Michelin Krylion's. Each step away from the Armadillo brings benefits and increased puncture risk - only you can decide where the tipping point is!

Peter
  • allen
    allen Posts: 214
    I have been toying with the Michelin Krylions or maybe the conti gator or 4000s. Any thoughts ?
  • northpole wrote:
    Specialized Armadillo tyres are virtually bomb proof - the downside is that they are heavy, and are monsters to get on/ remove due to extremely tough sidewalls and beading. Spesh also offer Roubaix Armadillo which may offer the level of compromise you are after.

i agree i have the s works mondo's they might not be the all weather tyre your looking for but if these are anything to go by specialized tyres are very tough .just bought my second set after 1200 puncture free miles :D . i have gatorskins on my second bike and have been good so far but i dont feel very confident in there grip
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Ive fitted a set of Vittoria Rubino Pros and I'm reall y pleased with them

Theis is a good deal from Wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360013214&N=Vittoria%20Rubino%20Pro%20Folding%20Tyre%20Set
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • pieinthesky
    pieinthesky Posts: 417
    Its all in the mind.

If you look at pun@#@res as a problem then they will be a problem.

Consider them part of cycling, like filling up is part of motoring.

In fact fixing a puncture takes about the same time as filling up (with some practice) and is a darn sight cheaper so every time you get one you should be feeling smug and pleased with yourself.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    I've commuted on Gatorskins all winter on a rural commute that starts in town. No problem. I rate the Conti option.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • billybiker
    billybiker Posts: 272
    I use continental tyres, 4 seasons in Winter and GP 4000's in summer. Great tyres, and if you follow the instructions "do not cycle over any sharp objects" :roll: they never puncture. Maybe the Germans carry their bikes everywhere.