noise on what seems the rear wheel of road bike

klarky
klarky Posts: 10
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
its a tick tick tick noise what seems wheel related as it only makes a noise when i'm actually sitting on it and riding it.spin wheel freely when off it and there's no sound.bike is only 2mths old.and just had its check from dealer.stripped gaurd and brakes off, so there cant be anything catching and its still there???think it must be bearings any ideas
taking it back when i get the time as its still under guarrentee

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Does it make the noise the whole time you are moving (even freewheeling) or only when you pedal?
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Does the ticking happen only when pedalling, or also when riding?

Is it a knocking ticking sound, or more of a stress ticking sound?

If the latter (as I suspect, given you reckon it's bearings), check the following are properly lubed and tightened:
    QR Skewer
    Seatpost/Frame clamp
    Setpost/saddle clamp
    Cassette lockring

Also check you've not adjusted the saddle to the point where the rails are clamped on a bend,
  • klarky
    Bronzie wrote:
    Does it make the noise the whole time you are moving (even freewheeling) or only when you pedal?

even when freewheeling
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    I had a similar situation on a Via Nirone I used to own, I thought it was the wheel but turned out to be the QR Skewer on the rear wheel being overtightened, slackened it off and problem solved.
    exercise.png
  • klarky
    Big Red S wrote:
    Does the ticking happen only when pedalling, or also when riding?

Is it a knocking ticking sound, or more of a stress ticking sound?

If the latter (as I suspect, given you reckon it's bearings), check the following are properly lubed and tightened:
    QR Skewer
    Seatpost/Frame clamp
    Setpost/saddle clamp
    Cassette lockring

Also check you've not adjusted the saddle to the point where the rails are clamped on a bend,

have recently adjusted seat height and slope of seat,would or could that possibly cause the ticking noise if not done properly??
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    its not the pawls in the freewheel is it?
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • klarky
    have rode the bike sitting on saddle and upright off the saddle and still the noise is there,also as pointed have slackened and tightened skewer and still no joy
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Does sound like the rear wheel bearings - see what the shop have to say once they've looked at it.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Is the wheel true and the spokes tight? If you have long road drop outs check that the wheel is accurately centred. It could be that once your weight is on the bike it flexes enough to catch on the mudguard (if fitted), a brake block or the seat/chain stays.

It may sound silly, but is there something stuck on the tyre that's catching on the frame? Can you borrow a wheel to be sure it really is the wheel causing the problem.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Turn the bike upside down so its resting on seat and handlebars have a thorough look for anything you have missed. Take the rear wheel out and skewer out. Hold it by the adjusting nuts and spin the wheel - sound still there then could be the bearings. Either way you will learn a lot more as to the cause.

This LINK might be useful.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • klarky
    have had the bike looked at, after trying everyones advice and still had the problem.
    they say it was the bottom bracket just needed a little lube on???i thoughtb these were sealed,how can u lube a sealed unit???have not tried the bike yet,going out tomorrow see what happens??

ta to all
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    my fixed gear bike (a langster) made the most annoying ticking noise on arrival - it turned out to be the crank / bottomg bracket interface.

I took the cranks off, a dab of grease on the (square taper) axle, refitted the cranks and tightened them up - bingo - noise no more

(and noise no more on a fixed means real silent bike!)
  • chopsocky
    chopsocky Posts: 13
    I had a clicking noise only when riding. Turned out to be the lockring on the valve for the rear wheel was slighlty loose. It would be okay when the bike was stood up but once here was weight over the back wheel it would make a tinkling noise.
  • feel
    klarky wrote:
    have not tried the bike yet,going out tomorrow see what happens??

ta to all

and we are still all wondering if the clicking noise is still there?

I had a clicking noise as well recently - tried everything to sort it eventually took the cranks and bottom bracket bearings off couldn't find anything loose but when i put it all back together... silence :D

I love silent bikes.
  • klarky
    feel wrote:
    Turn the bike upside down so its resting on seat and handlebars have a thorough look for anything you have missed. Take the rear wheel out and skewer out. Hold it by the adjusting nuts and spin the wheel - sound still there then could be the bearings. Either way you will learn a lot more as to the cause.

no the noise is still there and worse,have read the link and this seems exactly the same problem as i have.short of dipping the whole bloody bike in an oil tank i'll grease/lube wheelspokes etc as advised

WATCH THIS SPACE???
    P.S. SHOP COULDN'T FIND ANY NOISE (MUST BE DEAF)saying that,it comes on after a while on road,not there immediately???and advised them of this
  • klarky
    klarky wrote:
    feel wrote:

no the noise is still there and worse,have read the link and this seems exactly the same problem as i have.short of dipping the whole bloody bike in an oil tank i'll grease/lube wheelspokes etc as advised

WATCH THIS SPACE???
    P.S. SHOP COULDN'T FIND ANY NOISE (MUST BE DEAF)saying that,it comes on after a while on road,not there immediately???and advised them of this
    :D

looked at the link
    well i greased as said,spokes etc and the noise????

:D:D its gone,bloody marvolous a noise free bike again.thanks for the tips, a good forum to be on and keep up the good work,cheers :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • feel
    We are only here to help :wink:

pleased it's sorted. :D