Hand made bikes. Advice wanted

Roger Davies
Roger Davies Posts: 305
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I'm seriously considering having a bike made that fits me exactly. They aint cheap starting at around £1500. Anyone have any advice on taking this route. What are the pitfalls if any? Has anyone had a bike made do they have any tips on laying down a spec? I'm not an experienced cyclist. I see myself ending up with a camel instead of a horse. Any comments gratefully received.

All I know that I definitely want is:

A parallel cross bar (parallel with the ground that is)
Lightweight but strong frame for touring and carrying panniers front and back
Straight handlebars
Plenty of gears (how do you work out for instance how many gears anyone actually requires)
The right frame height and length as I'm tall with long arms
Wheels to take 700x36 tyres

Thanks
RD
Old bikes are better

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    A good experienced frame builder will walk you through the process and help you make up your mind from the rough idea you have at the minute (frame material, frame angles, brazings etc).

I suppose one pitfall could be that the builder will make what they think you should have, rather than what you actually want, so make sure each decision that is made on the spec is guided by you based on their advice and make sure they explain their reasoning behind their advice.

Ask in Road Gear & Know How for a reputable builder near to you as you'll want to visit on at least 2 occassions (one to get measured up and talk spec, and one to collect the finished item).
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You won't look back - any good frame builder will make exactly what you want - it will end up a very treasured bike...believe you me - you'll never want to sell it.

Like this - 17 years on...still my best bike..

DSCF0897.jpg
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    Do they fit forever, or would this be the sort of bike you would get after using 'off-the-shelf' bikes for your body to adapt to rather than getting a new frame made every so often ( :shock: )
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Well, if you've stopped growing then they will fit forever - you'll no doubt change the stem length - I have - 110mm to 130mm - but over a number of years, and adjusted saddle height a few times.....

It will also give you a good base for which to adjust any other bikes - my MTB and training road bike are as near to my hand built in set up that I can get them - all have different geometries but are set up the same.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I think that the last thing I would do is lay out that sort of money BEFORE I had a pretty good idea of what sizing worked for me in practice over a good few miles! IF I were going to have a custom build (which I never would, however flush I might be, being of reasonably average proportions!), I'd take along a bike that fitted me but that with a slightly tweaked frame would allow say bigger tyres or shorter stem or less/more seat post out or longer head tube.

For example, the old Raleigh Clubman that I am currently riding is fine, but I'd prefer slightly longer stays to give bigger tyre clearance. And a slightly longer head tube. And a few extra braze ons. And...er...that's it really. I very much doubt that the overall geometry is what any modern day frame builder would decide what is "right" for me.

Can you not get an approximation (cheap) and play around with seat post and stem (preferably an adjustable one)? And then say "like this but...."?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • meagain wrote:
    I think that the last thing I would do is lay out that sort of money BEFORE I had a pretty good idea of what sizing worked for me in practice over a good few miles! IF I were going to have a custom build (which I never would, however flush I might be, being of reasonably average proportions!), I'd take along a bike that fitted me but that with a slightly tweaked frame would allow say bigger tyres or shorter stem or less/more seat post out or longer head tube.

For example, the old Raleigh Clubman that I am currently riding is fine, but I'd prefer slightly longer stays to give bigger tyre clearance. And a slightly longer head tube. And a few extra braze ons. And...er...that's it really. I very much doubt that the overall geometry is what any modern day frame builder would decide what is "right" for me.

Can you not get an approximation (cheap) and play around with seat post and stem (preferably an adjustable one)? And then say "like this but...."?

I take your point Me which is a good one and I would guess that the one I use now is nearly there except for the wheel base and it wont take larger tyres than 700x32. I've been looking at new bikes for months and so far havent come up with one as good as the one I already have. But yes you're right it would be real bummer to pay all that money and still find something wrong.
    Old bikes are better
  • Bronzie wrote:
    A good experienced frame builder will walk you through the process and help you make up your mind from the rough idea you have at the minute (frame material, frame angles, brazings etc).

I suppose one pitfall could be that the builder will make what they think you should have, rather than what you actually want, so make sure each decision that is made on the spec is guided by you based on their advice and make sure they explain their reasoning behind their advice.

Ask in Road Gear & Know How for a reputable builder near to you as you'll want to visit on at least 2 occassions (one to get measured up and talk spec, and one to collect the finished item).[/quote

Thanks Bronzie.
    Old bikes are better