Buying train tickets and booking a place for the bike LEJOG)

Pekka
Pekka Posts: 119
edited March 2008 in Tour & expedition
I read on this forum about the difficulty of booking places for bikes on trains when the tickets are booked on line. With this in mind, I have been in touch with a guy who operates a station in Wales. I have given him my dates and he has promised to sell me the tickets and book the places on the trains. Yesterday, he contacted me to say he still isn't able to book the tickets. As I am travelling at the beginning of June I am getting slightly concerned. Is it normal for it to be so difficult to book tickets in advance?

Comments

• yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    What are your travel plans from Finland? Fly/ferry? Arrival destination?
    I travel pretty much exclusively around UK with bikes on trains and have never had a problem, although I do tend to book in advance in person.
    Post up some details on your travel plans (I take it that when you state LeJog, Cornwall will be your start point). So if you're planning a train from London and having problems, I'd probably be happy to purchase 'in person' for you. We'd have to work out some way to do it moneywise so I dont end up a couple hundred pounds out of pocket, but then I've been considering a trip down there for a while so probably wouldn't be too bothered about it.
    Let me know.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    June is a long time away. It's possible that he isn't able to book the tickets for the return leg because it is more than three months away (ie assuming that you are taking a good couple of weeks for the ride itself). I wouldn't worry.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I think 3 months is the norm for advance bookimg of bikes and people on trains. Was trying to book Eurostar a few years ago and was told 90 days is maximum I cdan book in advance.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Three months in advance is generally the furthest you can book in advance but booking horizons can be a lot shorter than that depending on the time of year....and also the route you are taking. Engineering works is the principal reason for this....reservations are not opened until all plannable engineering works are effectively set in stone and timetables can be assured. Winter weekends tend to be the worst and especially over the Christmas period. I expect the summer timetable is still being finalised.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Just been through all this for my own LEJOG and here are one or two tips:

1. You can only book less than 12 weeks in advance
    2. When you've got your dates use the National Rail Enquiries website to get an idea of the trains and train operators that get you where you want to go
    3. Go to the website for the train operator that covers the biggest leg of your journey to check actual train times, routes and fares. They don't always agree with those posted on the Rail Enquiries website.
    4. The cheapest fares aren't always posted 12 weeks before your travel, sometimes they are posted 9 or 10 weeks before travel, so you might have to keep checking things over a couple of weeks.
    5. As soon as you know which fares you want, which trains etc, phone the customer service offices for the train operators on each of your journey legs and make separate bike reservations for each leg of your journey. Be wary about any one office telling you they can reserve your bike right through the whole journey. If they offer to do that make sure they give you a reservation for each leg.
    6. Get the office to send you an email confirmation of the bike reservation.
    7. Then go to the train operator covering the biggest leg of your journey and buy your ticket for the whole journey.
    8. Your tickets should arrive in the post a couple of days later.

Hope this helps and Good luck
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    5. As soon as you know which fares you want, which trains etc, phone the customer service offices for the train operators on each of your journey legs and make separate bike reservations for each leg of your journey. Be wary about any one office telling you they can reserve your bike right through the whole journey. If they offer to do that make sure they give you a reservation for each leg.

Good grief!! :roll: :lol:

Ring a sales line of A train operator
    Give them the details of the whole journey
    Tell them it's essential you have bike and seat reservations throughout for all the reservable legs of the journey (obviously cheaper offer tickets would have manadtory seat reservations anyway).
    Get the operator to confirm they have reserved your bike, and be told if any part of the journey in non-reservable (and will therefore be 'first come first served') before you close the call.
    When the tickets arrive through the post immediately check your tickets that a) they're for the trains you wanted/ settled for (which you should always do anyway)...check you have a cycle reservation slip for every train that you have a seat reservation.
    If there are any problems with the above ring their Aftersales department as soon as possible.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I think Pekka's approach of finding a firiendly geezer in a station in Wales is as good a strategy as any.

Pekka by the way, if you're coming back to London the Caledonian sleeper from Inverness well worth considering.
  • Pekka
    Thanks for all the advice. I am travelling back to London but do not know the train as yet. Whatever the train, having done it (LEJoG), I think I will be so pissed I won't notice the difference.
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    I am facing a similar problem, plus I don't know how long I want to take. I'm going in August. Has anyone done the post a bike bag to the post office nearest the station, pack bike, catch train approach?
  • Two sheds
    Two sheds Posts: 446
    I am facing a similar problem, plus I don't know how long I want to take. I'm going in August. Has anyone done the post a bike bag to the post office nearest the station, pack bike, catch train approach?

No, but I've used the bike shop in Wick to box up and post the bike home. It was 2004, and I can't remember the shop's name, but a little research and a phone call might give you this option
    Put a hump in your back
    Shake your sacroiliac
    And ride on
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    Pete Beer wrote:

Getting back from Thurso or Wick is not as bad as it used to be during the peak months because Scotrail have engaged the services of a van and driver to ferry bikes between Inverness and Thurso/Wick and back. This means that more than two bikes at a time can be booked onto a train.

It worked weel for me in 2006.

It's wortth enquiring about to see when the service starts and stops.
  • Pekka
    Posted this on the wrong thread!
    Just an update. My guy in Wales just let me know that the outbound tickets and places for bikes from Heathrow to Penzance have been booked at 30 quid. Not possible to book the return tickets yet but I am half way there. Thanks again for all the soothing advice.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    For returning, you need to speak to Scotrail direct. I went to the station in person to try and book both trips, but was told there was no space on trains from Inverness. Turns out they hold seats back to sell direct, and you can book bike space this way too.