driinks for long rides

Paulkingk
Paulkingk Posts: 689
Hi guys wondering if you can help. I'm after some sort of powder mix i can use in my hydro pack to drink when on long rides i currenly just use water but i hear i should be using something more on long rides. i ain't got a clue whats good or not? :oops:

Comments

• woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    any of the powder energy drinks would be fine, SIS PSP is what I use, but like others I know, some like it, and some prefer a different Powerbar/High 5 , so try them ,a nd find what works best for you.

Just need to make sure you really clean the bladder afterwards, as it will soon get mouldy.
  • Dobbs
    Dobbs Posts: 186
    Water is all you need, rehydration is the most important thing.
    You're better off eating some bananas than taking electrolytes and they're cheaper, too.
    If you've had a really long day and sweated a lot, you can replace your salts after (with your tea).

Cheers
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    for a while i just used water and juice, then added a little salt which i read could help, however, I did the same 30 mile route on consecutive weekends, one with the above drink, and one with the High5 4:1 suppliment, I'm now converted, the second ride I finished feelling like i could carry on for more, my legs didn't feel like they were going to implode, and best of all, I could still function for the rest of the day where normally I would just want to crash out on the couch and spoil the rest of the day for my wife and kids.

you can get a trail pack for 2 pounds here, it's well worth a try.
    http://www.highfive.co.uk/free%20sample/freesample.html

the pre and post ride drinks are also very good.
  • keith
    keith Posts: 1,149
    I notice a definite improvement with energy drinks. Get one you like the taste of as that's the one you will drink. Buy the little one drink pouches as these allow you to experiment :) and don't take Ale or Lager...
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    electrolytes work, athletes take them for a reason so if your ona long ride they can work for you too, best to replenish as you go than at the end. look after your body and you will reap the benefits. :wink:
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    For rides of about 2 or 3 hours, I tend to just stick water in my camelback, and carry a bottle or two of lucozade sport, which seems to work fine.
    longer than that, and I start feeling the need for some more energy.
    I used to use high5 a few years ago when I used to do all-day rides, and felt great.

However, the ultimate energy drink has to be POWERTHIRST
  • Langers
    Langers Posts: 95
    lol
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread!

Ghall, that sounds very much like me after a ride. I sweat quite a lot when riding (probably in part due to loss of fitness after a layoff from cycling but my body seems to 'run hot') and often after a ride I'll have quite a bad headache. :oops: Did you find that you were also having headaches?

I believe this is down to a loss of salt from sweating, although not completely sure.

I do tend to eat a couple of bananas or cereal bars when I'm out, and have a camelbak with 3.2L bladder. I'll quite often drink all of that in 15-20 miles off-road.

Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Steve
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    On longer rides you do need more than water although water is the most important.
    In doing, say, a 100 mile road ride you will need to eat food or at the very least drink
    energy drinks and or "shoot" some gels. If you don't you will probably "bonk" and that's
    no fun at all. Fig bars or energy bars are probably the most convienient to carry along
    and drink mixes can help keep you going along with the bars. On a long ride I try to eat
    a good portion or a whole bar every 35 miles or so. It's something you need to kind of
    experiment with. Lots of times I will make a quick stop at a convienence store along the way and pick up some sort of "Gatoraide" type drink and maybe a power bar. It gets
    me through the long miles.
  • There are some homemade energy drink recipies on this site you could try:

Cycling Performance Tips - Homemade Energy Drinks & Snack Recipes

I have never taken water out with me on a ride before, I'm not sure I need to rehydrate when I have only been doing 10 - 20 miles at a time, I don't seem to get thirsty, but I do sweat a hell of a lot, I can be 4 or 5 pounds lighter after a ride through sweat lossT

I took a drink out for the first time today after getting a new water bottle and cage yesterday, I'm not sure it made any difference taking on liquids or not, but it probably will do now that I am about to start riding longer trips, my drink today was made up of a bottle with about 1/4 orange juice, 3/4 water and a bit of salt in it.
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • I recently discovered Nuun energy tablets (my LBS was selling them half price so I thought I'd give 'em a go). All you do is dissolve a tab in 500ml of water and voila! It's quite tasty too.

I've been taking my 2litre Camelbak filled with plain ole water and a bottle with the Nuun liquid stuck in my bottle cage.

On Thursday I went for a strenuous ride with the above and at the end of the ride I was bursting for a pee :P !
    My Build is almost complete - I just need some wheels and pedals!