Alcohol or Gaz cartridge stove in France?

raybo
raybo Posts: 87
edited January 2011 in Tour & expedition
I own both an alcohol stove and one of those Gaz cartridge stoves. On my US tours, I use the alcohol stove as it seems it is easier to buy alcohol on tour (in automotive shops) then finding a camping store with the Gaz cartridges. I also like that alcohol can be made from plants. Other than that, I have no preference.

The advantages of the Gaz stoves is that the fuel burns hotter, you get a flame adjustment, and each cartridge lasts for several meals. I would also suspect that a Gaz cartridge weighs less a quart of alcohol. One the other hand, there is nothing to go wrong with the alcohol stove and it is much lighter (though a quart of methanol does add weight).

My question is which one I should take?

From what I can gather, alcohol fuel should be relatively easy to get. How easy it is to get the Gaz cartridges?

Thanks,

Ray

Comments

• xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    We only use campingaz, you can check out http://www.campingaz.com they have places in all the citys and most of the towns in France.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Camping Gaz brand valved cartridges are commonly available in many supermarkets. Be warned that though they have a valve, and superficially look the same, they are unthreaded and can only be used with Camping Gaz stoves, or the MSR Superfly. For other stoves you will need an adapter

The non-removable (pierce the can, no valve) cartridges are even commoner, though there are many own-brand versions so they won't all be the standard Camping Gaz blue. These need a different adapter for use with screw-on stoves.
  • raybo
    Thanks for the information.

I just want to be clear. The stove valve that I have is from many years ago (over 20) and once it is screwed into a cartridge you can't unscrew it without venting the gas cartridge. The way it works is that the unpierced cartridge is attached to the holder and then the value is screwed into a threaded bit on the holder and the cartridge is pierced.

It looks like what is called a "Bleuet" on the site you listed.

Is alcohol as widely available as the gas cartridges?

Thanks,

Ray
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Sorry I should have mentioned that I use the Twister 270 model that goes over the CV 270 and CV 470 gaz canisters. These you can seperate from the burner when not in use.
    The burner output is 2900 watts and boils in 3.45 min. and has served us well.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    raybo wrote:
    Thanks for the information.

I just want to be clear. The stove valve that I have is from many years ago (over 20) and once it is screwed into a cartridge you can't unscrew it without venting the gas cartridge. The way it works is that the unpierced cartridge is attached to the holder and then the value is screwed into a threaded bit on the holder and the cartridge is pierced.

It looks like what is called a "Bleuet" on the site you listed.

Is alcohol as widely available as the gas cartridges?

Thanks,

Ray

Dring my Channel to Med ride last year, I had no difficulty obtaining' alcool a brulee' from supermarkets - they all seemed to stock it. It's colourless and smells differently to meths. It's slightly cleaner burning too.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    raybo wrote:
    these are the ones I meant by "The non-removable (pierce the can, no valve) cartridges are even commoner".
    They are available in most supermarkets, even in quite small towns
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    I take it you are aware that Trangia can also run on gas ?
    (Screw on type cartriges, so you need the adapter) but still you can have the best of both worlds, the best stove and two fuels

http://www.simply-outdoors.co.uk/Produc ... goryID/134
  • raybo
    I was not aware of the converter. An interesting option, for sure. However, I want to rely on only one to minimize weight. I will probably go with the alcohol stove.

Ray
  • raybo
    I just returned from this 4-week bike tour and decided to take the Trangia. The first store I stopped in had a liter of cooking alcohol for under 2 Euros. Many of the markets had the gas cartridges, as well.

I just wanted to close the look on this thread.

I took a pot cozy that I made from stove pipe insulation. It worked so well that I was able to cook virtually every day and use only the 1 liter of alcohol for the entire trip. I was impressed. The pot cozy allows you to cook rice, pasta, oatmeal without keeping a flame under it. You boil the water, put in the food, wrap in the cozy, and turn off the stove. I highly recommend using one.

Ray
  • heatonrider
    heatonrider Posts: 109
    Alcohol also burns clean - much faster boil time than meths too
  • raybo wrote:
    I just returned from this 4-week bike tour and decided to take the Trangia. The first store I stopped in had a liter of cooking alcohol for under 2 Euros. Many of the markets had the gas cartridges, as well.

I just wanted to close the look on this thread.

I took a pot cozy that I made from stove pipe insulation. It worked so well that I was able to cook virtually every day and use only the 1 liter of alcohol for the entire trip. I was impressed. The pot cozy allows you to cook rice, pasta, oatmeal without keeping a flame under it. You boil the water, put in the food, wrap in the cozy, and turn off the stove. I highly recommend using one.

Ray

I know this thread is a little old but I don't suppose you've got a photo of the pot cosy you could post on here?? I'm contemplating some riding in Europe this summer and currently have a Trangia so this thread is useful...
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com