thetford forest trails?

dinger
dinger Posts: 14
edited April 2008 in XC and Enduro
evening folks i was just wondering if anybody has been to or knows anything about the trails in thetford forest as i am giong down there over easter. i beleive there is a red and black route. i live in south west scotland and ride most weekends at glentress innerliethen and ae forest.so im wondering if will it be a bit of an over kill to take my patriot down there as i cant imagine it being that downhilly?

Comments

• Hi

it will be far to much for thetford you need the most "cross coutry" based bike you have.

sam
  • dinger
    nice 1 sam. the hard tail it is.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    hardtail is best. The red and black routes are quite good fun. There is also a lot more off the waymarked routes out there that can be good to rode if you know where to look.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • if you can't be arsed to lug your bike down there the bike place there `bikeart` rent some decent konas for about a tenna i think
    Train hard, ride easy
  • milkywhite
    milkywhite Posts: 534
    There's only a few fast sections, and they're all too short. There's a few jumps been unofficially built around the section called "Beast" towards the end of the black route, plus a couple of alternative singletrack routes down that particular area. The proper start of "Beast" is marked by a sign. If you take a right just before that sign there's one of the alternative descents (I say descents very tentatively) which is fun and quite fast, but not exactly mind blowing. There's also a few bombholes which break up the ride and are fun to have a play in.

To find the jumps (a few single kickers and one small tabletop type jump that can all be ridden in succession) look to your left as you approach the end of Beast and you should spot them.

There's a new section of singletrack on the red route with a few man made obstacles and berms that's quite fun, but shouldn't get your pulse racing with fear too much if you're used to riding in Scotland. The red route can be ridden as a long or short loop. At the fork you go straight on for the short loop and left for the long loop. There's a video of the opening of the new section on youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=bGMvPK_w9AQ

Apparently if you can be bothered to explore, there's a lot of nice singletrack across the road in Brandon country park.

The black and Red (long loop) are both about 11 miles.
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    I race and ride pretty regular round thetford, its pure XC/single track, the black route is your best choice as if you never rode round there. its incredibly dry as well and is renouned for draining any wet weather very quickly. I love it round there.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    milkywhite wrote:
    Apparently if you can be bothered to explore, there's a lot of nice singletrack across the road in Brandon country park.
    go to www.thetfordmtbracing.com and look at the winter series 4 race map, thatused some of the brandon country park stuff.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    If you're used to riding Scottish trail centres, you'll probably at manage at least one circuit of the whole red route and two circuits of the black at Thetford in one day.

IIRC, the long red route took me just over an hour and the black about 45mins.

I presume you're not going all that way just to ride at Thetford, but making it part of a holiday?
  • dinger
    cheers for the replys guys and great info milky i will have to keep my eyes open for those jumps.im down for 4 days over easter at the girl friends but am usually down once a month to see her she lives in halesworth so its not to far to get there. i usually bring the hard tail down and tag along when shes out on the horse.but its as slow as a week in the jail so it will give me and excuse to get some worth while riding in.

nearly dearly

mark (dinger) bell
  • milkywhite
    No problem. I'm gonna be at High Lodge about 10.30 Friday morning if you can get out then I'll be happy to give you the tour for the day
  • dinger
    soz mate i wont be down untill late saturday to try and miss the traffic on friday.but some other time no worrys.
  • out of interest - where do you guys come from to get to thetford??
    Train hard, ride easy
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    I come from stowmarket which is mid suffolk
  • milkywhite
    Well this is what you missed out on today boys. Mud, mud and more mud.

pbpic1854156.jpg

pbpic1854154.jpg

pbpic1854144.jpg
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    Nice! That black mud absolutely stinks! It just sits there stagnant and festering until you ride through it and get splattered in the face with it! Avoid it at all costs. lol

There's one real boggy section with moguls and all that black mud on the red route just before the split to the long loop that timber are meant to be redirecting the trail round. Not sure how far they've got with it as I haven't been over there this year yet. Will be off there soon though.
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    we are still redeveloping the decent before the section you are talking about. The plan is to reroute that section after have finished the downhill. this should be about april-may time that the new bit should be done.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i come from near saffron walden which is near cambridge. will be going tomorrow actually.
  • milkywhite
    i come from near saffron walden which is near cambridge. will be going tomorrow actually.

Did you go yesterday? The weather was stinking where I work, and at home in Norwich, so I can't imagine it was too nice.
  • NeVeTaS
    NeVeTaS Posts: 14
    milkywhite wrote:
    Well this is what you missed out on today boys. Mud, mud and more mud.

:lol: Quality

I'm there often, see you on the trials :lol:
    '13 Enduro 29
    '13 Rockrider Big RR
    '08 Orange Five Pro - Sold