Wanting to get in to road biking - Issimo bike?

sirlylos
sirlylos Posts: 234
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I've been riding mountain bikes for about 15 years now but I'm interested in purchasing a road bike. The cheapest reputable named bikes I can find i.e. Giant and Specialized start from £400 which is quite a lot to spend. However, I have noticed a few on ebay, on in particular is an Issimo.

Issimo on ebay

I've never heard of Issimo and it could just be cheap tat but the price looks good. Can any of you advise me on what I should do and maybe what my best options would be for getting in to road biking without spending a fortune.

Thanks in advance :wink:
1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
1997 - Specialized Hardrock
2003 - Specialized FSR XC
2008 - Specialized Epic FSR Comp
2009 - Giant Defy 3
2010 - Voodoo Wanga
2012 - Cannondale Supersix 105

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I'd steer clear of any bikes advertised with a picture that shows the bars in this weird position! Never heard of Isimo...............looks like cheap tat from what I can see and the very little info given in the listing.

rsx408-b.jpg
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Alarm! Avoid that bike. It will be no fun to ride. There are cheaper reputable bikes out there. Edinburgh bikes have one, and do consider "British" brands like Claud Butler and Raleigh that many ignore. Giant also do some nice cheaper ones like the SCR4. If you go cheap, you will end up wondering what all the fuss is about and would rightly decide to use slicks on an mtb. Or go 2nd hand.
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    I find that bike worrying to say the least! You could get a half decent second hand bike for a little more than that.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Decathlon are well worth a look if you have one close to you......
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    What is your budget?

Raleigh Airlite's on ebay are 'reasonable' by most accounts.
    There is also the chap who sells a generic frame with some not too bad groupset on it for around £160 IIRC, has good reviews too. just search for road bike or racing bike, can't remember which.

As mentioned above Decathlon bikes are good vfm, a Sport 2 would probably be what you would be after.

If you are going to go 2nd hand, your probably best to go for an 'unfashionable' brand, something like Claude Butler/Saracen etc etc

Something like this maybe http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120230716502&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:uk

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Bronzie wrote:
    I'd steer clear of any bikes advertised with a picture that shows the bars in this weird position! Never heard of Isimo...............looks like cheap tat from what I can see and the very little info given in the listing.

rsx408-b.jpg

My god it's ugly!!! :lol:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    edited March 2008
    My god it's ugly!!! :lol:
    WTF is going on with the seattube?? That's taking "double-butted" tubing to a new extreme! And check out the tight rear triangle................responsive (not). How nice to see quill stems making a comeback as well - has it got cotter pins too?

My guess is you'd struggle to even pick the ugly lump off the floor - 30lbs+ I reckon.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It's just WRONG Bronzie eh? Good grief!! lol
  • sirlylos
    Ha I'm laughing at the slating this thing has got. have you noticed that it retails for £450 usually!

I didn't want to spend much on this, possibly £200 at the very most but I'm also a firm believer of buying quality. Firstly so that it lasts and also so that I can see what all the fuss is about, I want it to feel good.

I'm liking that Claude Butler, it's exactly what I'm after and I live nearby. I think it's going to go for a lot more than £62 which it's currently on.....still I'll keep my eye on it and see how I get on.
    1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
    1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
    2009 - Giant Defy 3
    2010 - Voodoo Wanga
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "it retails for £450 usually!"

Doubt that one was ever sold at that price - I suppose might be "worth" maybe 50 quid.

If you want quality for below 200 then only real answer is second hand: if you can live with down tube shifters then a lot of possiblities on th'bay etc.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/sport-2-24281079/

Decathlon Sport 2 there, but as it is end of line, might be cheaper instore, defo worth a call.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    That is quite clearly cack. What's up with the bars and the seatpost? Never trust a bike that's marketed with reflectors. The forks are SQUARE!

I can't see any one thing I like about it.

Hideous!
  • marky2484
    marky2484 Posts: 160
    NO, NO , NO , NO NO, NO NO.

NO.
    If I had a baby elephant, I\'d be asking my girlfriend some SERIOUS questions.....
  • marky2484
    marky2484 Posts: 160
    Designed in Holland ! ? WTF?.

Anything else , mate. Look on e-bay. Look in skips. Look in ditches. Please do not spoil your enjoyment of Gods own sport by subjecting yourself to that.

You can do so much better for £129.00. It will be secondhand. It might be scratched in places. But it will be better. SIZE/FIT is the most important thing. Do you have any mates with road bikes? Try them out. Get a feel for what size is best for you. Learn how bikes are measured/sized. Ask your mates first. Just don't buy one of these. :(
    If I had a baby elephant, I\'d be asking my girlfriend some SERIOUS questions.....
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    As well as Edinburgh, Decathlon, Claud Butler and Raleigh, there's also Dawes

I nearly went for one, until I found some more money

Any of those brands are a good start, and you'll find it easier to upgrade if you want too
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • sirlylos
    I can categorically say that I will not buy that bike, I have had sufficient replies to warn me off good and proper!

I do have a mate who road bikes so I'm going to get in touch with him and check out the sizing. I'm probably going to go with the Giant's that are around the £400 mark. Anyone know any decent bike shops that do interest free credit?
    1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
    1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
    2009 - Giant Defy 3
    2010 - Voodoo Wanga
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Why not look for a S/H road bike?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    sirlylos wrote:
    Anyone know any decent bike shops that do interest free credit?

If you're prepared to buy online Wiggle do 12 months buy now pay later for orders over £400. That would get you a decent GT GTR4 or Giant SCR 3, but £400 is still a fair wedge for something you're trying out. I'd be tempted to spend half that on a second hand one of the above (or similar) and upgrade in 12 months if you like it.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR