New bike arrived today. How many parts??

cbradley1982
cbradley1982 Posts: 10
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
My new BeOne storm 3 '07 arrived today. As i bought in on the internet it arrived in a box. Couldn't believe how much i had to put together. I had to:

Fit wheels
Attach front brake and setup front and rear brakes
Set up front and rear derailers
Fit stem
Attach handlebars
Fit pedals
Attach seat to post and fit to bike
Pump tyres.

Obviously i expected to do some of this but i thought setting up the gears and maybe fitting the seat would have been done. Also the front brake is the left lever and rear on right. Think i'll be visiting my lbs if i ever buy again. Just wanted to get out and ride. Almost missed a cracking day.
Orange Five '10

Comments

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've bought two bikes from Edinburgh Bike Co-op that have been delivered in the post. I'm fairly certain both (an MTB and a roadbike) just required the bars turning and raising, pedals fitting and seat post raised. Brakes, gears and the like were all nicely dialled in nadI was out on the roadie within the hour. I think I'd of been out on the MTB within an hour or so too had the front shifter not been damaged in transit.

I did buy a cheap Diamondback full-susser from Winstanleys a few years ago (never again) and that involved more work. You could pretty much tell that it hadn't been assembled or tested in the shop prior to dispatch as some components supplied such as the quick releases needed to be changed out.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds about right for how a bike arrives at a shop. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Where did you buy it from?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Assuming it's the 350 quid ("36%" off) from crc, then I suppose that you could have saved some time in return for giving a shop say another 150 quid for a worse bike probably not as safely put together as you will have done it!

Pays yer money and takes yer choice. Personally I'd sooner assemble that much (or more) myself even if NO saving. Only have to check it all if done by a shop anyway.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • jasonm945
    jasonm945 Posts: 134
    I did all that with the Blizzard and changed the brake cables over which wasn't bad as its the first road bike I owned since 1982 (Raleigh Arena).
    I was just shocked at how much faster it is than my mountain bike(s). Love it...

Jay
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've had a bike from Wiggle, and a bike from Edinburgh, and they both just need the handle bars straightening and pedals attaching. They were both properly set up, and could be ridden almost straight away.

Have also bought a bike from my LBS, and I rode that home from the shop, they even fitted some old pedals of my own for me when I came to collect it.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    When I bought my first road bike on the internet it didn't even come with bar tape. I was well pis*ed off.
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    I bought a GT Hybrid a while ago from a LBS in Warrington it was checked and setup as I waited. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Focus Variado Expert from Wiggle, it came in a huge box and all I had to assemble is the handlebars, put my pedals on and adjust the seat post and seat, I was out within 30 minutes :)
  • marky2484
    marky2484 Posts: 160
    My Langster ( Yeah , I know, ) arrived from GB Cycles in a reassuringly light box.... Wheels in,pedals on,straighten handlebars, adjust seat, ride home. Lovely. 8)
    If I had a baby elephant, I\'d be asking my girlfriend some SERIOUS questions.....
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Marko1962 wrote:
    I bought a GT Hybrid a while ago from a LBS in Warrington

Which one?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    GT Nomad, only £200 but it was my way back into riding and a means to get some fitness back. It's an OK bike not too heavy and does the job. It wasn't long before I hankered after something more exotic so went for the Focus. I now use the GT for wet weather or even if there's a hint of moisture in the air and the Focus when it's dry but alas I've not used my Focus much at all recently :(

My fitness level is coming on slowly but I'm hampered somewhat by age (45) and having to watch that I don't stress my immune system too much because of being on immunosuppressant tablets after a kidney transplant 2 and half years ago. I'm concentrating on getting my stamina and strength back but things they have gotten better over the last few weeks those hills are getting just a little easier and I'm getting out and doing 15 miles for an hour or so over mixed terrain. If it's really bad outside I get an hour or so on my excerise bike.

Ah I've just noticed the emphasis on Warrington :lol: it was the Cyclehouse store by the Rugby stadium...

A quick question to anyone in the north cheshire area, are there any cycling clubs or groups or even individuals that I could meet and ride with?