Bike for triathlon under £700

cbh69
cbh69 Posts: 2
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Last summer I tore a ligamnet in my knee playing rugby so having just had it reconstucted I am looking for a new sport and I am going to give triathlons a go.

I have £700 to spend and I am struggling with the amount of bikes that are available.

Could I have your thoughts on these bikes as to which are built to be more race and less sport/tour.

Scott Speedster S40
Cannondale Synapse Tiagra
Specialized Allez Sport
Trek 1.5
Focus Variado
Orbea Mente
Giant SCR 1.5
Lemond Reno
Pinnacle Sentinal 2.0
Cube Peleton

I know the best thing to do is get out and try them, but my leg still isn't working properly! I tried to test ride the Scott and Trek last weekend but my knee was having any of it.

Also I am getting the bike through work's cyclescheme and have to decide on a bike in the next 2 weeks.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

CBH.

Comments

• azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    I was originally intending cycling for triathlons. However the cycling bug cought and i refuse to run or swim extensively after putting a lot of cycling in as i don't wanna "water down" my cycling! lol

I don't think any of those are triathlon specifically bikes. Basically, a triathlon bike will be more aggressive and put you into a more aerodynamic position. Also if you have the right positioning on a triathlon bike, you'll use different muscles than what you use in your running so the run is easier, is it fast twitch or slow twitch? Can't remember.

They all look good bikes, the Focus you won't be able to test ride though but it will be good value. If you can push the budget a bit more you could get http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... ria%202008

This would be a lot better for triathlons, though would take more getting used to initially.

IF you don't go down the route of a triathlon/time trial bike, you can buy time trial bars to fit onto the bike which puts you into a more aero position (though i don't think it affects the leg muscles so no benefit for running)