Fixed Wheel post knee arthroscopy

Gavin Gilbert
Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
edited March 2008 in Road general
It looks like I've serious knee damage after my latest tarmac surfing experince 3 weeks ago and within a few days I'm off to Poland to have a meniscus 'repaired'

Has anyone experience of riding fixed after this procedure?

Comments

• LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I had this type of knee operation ten years ago and have done plenty of miles of cycling including riding a fixie. I had a piece of cartilage removed (nice doctor gave it me in a jar) and to be honest it was a lot more comfortable after the operation than before.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    sorry - this is way way off topic (well maybe not that far..) - but are you paying for thet polish op yourself or is this how your local NHS trust are operating these days?

Reason i ask is that I have a duff knee too - suspected meniscus damage - awaiting an MRI scan on the 25th March

i am very very worried :(
  • i've had 3 arthoscopy's when i was in my twentys, too much football (1st one was a kneecap off job), just before xmas i put too much pressure through my knee when spinning, knew i had split the knee cartilege, went to doc, he agreed, refered me to the hospital, hospital informed me it will be 18 weeks before i could even see a consultant, then it could be another 18 weeks before i get the op, HNS - nightmare :cry: , luckily it does not affect my cycling too much as long as i keep my seat hight a little lower than it should be, walking is another story though, interested to see how much it would cost going to poland to get it done gavin.
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    when I had mine done it was a week and a bit from diagnosis to operation. However it was 2 months before I went on a bike and then it was easy gears. However ride fixed now and it seems ok, however its not 100% and never will be as surgeon said he couldn`t get some of the floaty bits out.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    gkerr4 wrote:
    sorry - this is way way off topic (well maybe not that far..) - but are you paying for thet polish op yourself or is this how your local NHS trust are operating these days?

Reason i ask is that I have a duff knee too - suspected meniscus damage - awaiting an MRI scan on the 25th March

i am very very worried :(

Paying for myself. I've got 15 degrees movement in the knee and a lump the size of a tennis ball next to the knee cap. I've probably another 3 weeks until an NHS consultant sees me and I'd be lucky to get treatment before the end of November.

Airport to airport care in Poland will set me back about £700, as opposed to £2,400 here. No brainer really....
  • steverile
    steverile Posts: 514
    Arthroscopy and minor procedure years ago. At the time I kind of blamed riding fixed in my youth, but not at all convinced. Went back to fixed 3-4 years ago and it's been great.

Knees stronger than ever, happily ride fixed, run fell races, etc., did my first fell marathon not long ago. Do the physio, build up, not sure I'd used the fixed for serious riding as part of the rehab - it's a bit all or nothing. But you should get there I'd have thought?