General

ctilbury
ctilbury Posts: 21
I was disappointed to find that when I posted a certain question a few days ago - which I thought was being directed at the team - no one from the team answered it, but it then evoked abuse from another reader, in response to whose request the thread was blocked, leaving my question unanswered. If you normally handle questions that you don't like with such contempt, I see little point in taking part in further forums.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Apologies, i did not know you were being serious. Your query was dealt with, so i don't see what the problem is. I will go through each of your points though, just so you are clear...

I have just looked on your routes page, and see all distances are marked in kilometres. Correct me if I am wrong, but in Britain the official measurement of road distances is the MILE. So can you please explain to me why you prefer to use kilometres?
    The website on which the routes database is powered is called bikely.com, which was founded by a chap who is based in Australia. Australia uses the metric system of measurement on road signs etc and therefore Km is the default.

Do you think it is trendy?
    No, it's a unit of measurement.

Or perhaps you are trying to help foreign riders in this country (must be milions, surely...) who do not understand that the km is 5/8 mile.
    I'm sure foreign riders in this country, as well as those who want to see routes in Km appreciate it, yes.

Apart from the fact that, to me a kilometre is a cut price mile, what is the point?
    The point is you can view distances in kilometres or miles, so it doesn't matter.
    km.jpg
  • ctilbury
    Thank you for your explanation. Yes, I can assure you that my query was genuine, and although I was originally given a partial answer (how to convert to miles) iI did not understand the reasoning behind using km in what I think of as a British magazine. Now I understand.

However, on a separate note, I am still unable to open any of the routes. Whenever I click on them I wait...and wait...and wait, but nothing happens. Am I the only person to have this problem?
  • Anonymous
    ctilbury wrote:
    British magazine
    This isn't a British magazine, it's an international website.
    ctilbury wrote:
    Am I the only person to have this problem?
    Strange. I'll pass this problem on to our development team.
  • ctilbury
    Sorry for mis-labelling the website a British magazine: I was under the evidently mistaken impression that you are a fromt for Cycling Plus.
  • swear
    swear Posts: 22
    We are indeed the company that publishes Cycling Plus, Mountain Biking UK, What Mountain Bike and Pro Cycling. We have offices in the UK, US and Australia. Bikeradar has staff in all these offices and other freelancers in mainland Europe, they are a team in their own right and work alongside their colleagues on Cycling plus etc.
    Simon
  • zaynan
    zaynan Posts: 180
    I would just like to say that the search engine on bikeradar is nearly always useless!

For example I have just tried to find the very recent page on the new Dura Ace 7900 release and typed in "dura ace 7900" - it wasn't found - although every other possible dura ace type and range was. There is no obvious way of filtering the results say by date or A-Z.

With such a huge (and growing) library of information I think it would be invaluable to us all if the content was easier to search. We are all so used to the power of Google nowadays and perhaps spoilt but surely you can come up with something better than what you currently have - I hope so!
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes
  • Anonymous
    zaynan wrote:
    With such a huge (and growing) library of information I think it would be invaluable to us all if the content was easier to search.
    That's the plan. From another post:

"Search is one of our priorities at the moment, and this applies to all the radar sites. We are developing a comprehensive solution that we hope to implement soon.

Surprisingly search is the hardest part of the site to create, and requires weeks of planning and development in order to function with all content on the site, its a ball ache to say the least!"
  • zaynan
    Glad to hear it's being worked on (i can understand how complex it is to do properly).
    Thanks for responding!
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes
  • Anonymous
    No problem. This might be of use to you in the meantime: http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=01397 ... kt0dsjdidq
  • zaynan
    Wow, now that's an improvement!
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I find the search works rather well if use "Search for all terms" rather than "Search for any terms or use query as entered".

"Search for any terms or use query as entered" just throws up nearly thread on bike radar.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr