East Midlands iCycle

davidmiller
davidmiller Posts: 320
Thinking of doing this sportive. Evidently, it's a bit Paris-Roubaix but without the cobbles.

http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx? ... eventid=74

Has anybody done it in previous years?? What's it really like??

Best bike or winter hack??

Cheers,

David

Comments

• jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    I have only ever ridden the very short course as I did it with my son. I am from the area though and it is fantastic countryside and a challenging ride.
    Use your good bike as although some of the lanes are a bit rough it is certainly not offroad.

To give yourself an idea why not have a day out and watch the cicle classic on the 27th April http://www.cicleclassic.co.uk/ and see how much the pros suffer on the terrain.

If all else fails have a pork pie, stilton and a pint of the local brew.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    I was looking at this one, but was a bit concerned i might trash my bike doing it! There was an article about it in Cycling Plus, but i found the directions a bit vague so struggled to work out the route in places! As Jellybelly says it's lovely countryside and i fancy doing a sportive that's close to home. I don't suppose anyone knows where the rougher sections are so i can take look?

Rich
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    Yep, thanks. I saw the article too and did n't help me too much either.

I think "pain in the pennines" is the same day so it might be worth the drive to get some hills in.

DM
  • I am entered for this one. Have fancied it for a while.

Am not taking the Carbon best bike. Am taking my team issue Caad9 full Aluminium with 105 and Ultegra. Didn't fancy wrecking the Super Six or any Dura Ace! Am sticking with Ksyrium SLs as I reckon they will be about bombproof....If a little harsh!

Taking on the Scotton 100 oop Norf in early april as a starter for ten. Will see how that goes! Caad9 Cross bike for that one though I reckon.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Was thinking of doing this, the link above says you can enter online but can't find a way of doing so, hmm.