Driving to the French Alps

La cucaracha
La cucaracha Posts: 71
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm hoping to spend some time in the Alps this summer (probably Les Arcs) and would be planning to drive there from Ayr (near Glasgow). What is the easiest/cheapest way to get there and where is best to cross from the UK to France (bearing in mind I'll be setting out from Scotland)?

Comments

• Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    Rosyth -> Zeebrugge has to be the best crossing from Scotland as it cuts out the rubbish UK road network and fuel at £1.50/litre (by then).

But you pay hell of price for the ferry: have just costed it for our Alps trip this summer and ferry alone would be £630!

Last year (Pyrenees trip) we crossed Portsmouth -> St.Malo, just to avoid SE England and the M25. This year (Alps) we will probably end up going Portsmouth -> Caen though it's still treble the price of the short crossings in the SE.
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    Best crossing would be from Dover to Calais and Norfolk Line are about the cheapest. But, it's a long drive down from Ayr!
  • Allan M
    Allan M Posts: 8
    I've driven from Aberdeenshire to the Alps several times via several routes.

Dover - Calais is cheap but the crap UK roads can turn the journey into a nightmare.

Rosyth - Zebrugga (spelling?) This was good short drive in scotland but it gets in late at the other side so it's very late before you arrive in the Alps.

Hull - Zebrugga. Did this last year and think it was the best. Fairly easy drive from Aberdeen, good sleep on the ferry and early start on the other side.

One thing worth thinking about though is if you get a return from Hull or Rosyth there is only one ferry a day so on the way up through France you are constantly worrying about delays and missing the boat. If you come back via Calais you can turn up almost any time and get on a boat. last year we were a few hours early for our ferry and got an earlier one without any trouble. If you phone them they will allow you to go via Hull and return via Calais without any problems. just time it so you drive up through France on Sunday (no HGV's) and get onto the M20 on Sunday evening then you should have a fairly clear run to Ayr. (My home town BTW).
    Allan